Post-War LMS Full Brake livery

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

I could do with some assistance as my knowledge of LMS post-war coaching stock livery is a little poor!

I have a Hornby LMS full brake in BR livery. I'm considering rolling my modelling time frame back to pre-nationalisation rather than circa 1956/7. 

r4237_1.jpg.bc102b730246cd250f83a284f27025e6.jpg

This is what I currently have.large-R4843.jpg.8b8e86cdeda26684cf1a7e6e409d93fc.jpg

Is this manifestation of the livery suitable for 1945-1948? Or is this more appropriate to the 1930s? (My thinking with the livery above is that it would be a tad extravagant for a humble full-brake.) Can anyone point me in the right direction, website, photograph(s), or decent reference book of LMS coaching stock, pre-nationalisation? 

I'm not adverse to re-painting models.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Look up the series called 

THE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF L.M.S. STANDARD COACHING STOCK:  (The Illustrated History of L.M.S. Standard Coaching Stock)

David Jenkinson (Author) R. J. Essery

There are a few volumes and keep and eye out on ebay etc but dont pay too much. There are some priced at £50 but you should get ones under £20 if you are patient. I would imagine many coaches didnt get repainted during the war so lots of Stanier late 1930s liveries would have survived even into early BR days albeit a bit worn, tired and battle scarred!

Edited by ianLMS
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

They weren't built until 1938 so I doubt many got a full repaint prior to BR days.

Any repaints and new builds would be in the simplified livery without the lining.

Some details here. Click on the instructions.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/m56ak/

I wouldn't consider the livery elaborate, the earlier ones had full panelling and the first few steel ones had the panelling painted on the sides.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/m10k/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Jason,

Thank you for the information in your post: I didn't realise they were as 'new' as they were in relation to my era, modelling-wise. For some reason, I got it in my head that LMS livery post-war was unlined.  I do agree with you; looking at the earlier lined livery, the late 1930s through to nationalisation isn't that elaborate after all!  

Many thanks,

Nick.

• Like 1