The Big Steam Adventure

MyRule1

I only discovered this programme a couple of days and have watched the first two episodes on catch-up (Channel 5). In this series "Peter Davison, John Sergeant and Paul Middleton travel from London to Scotland by steam" quote from the Channel 5 web-site. So far there have been three railway related elements but the series has the usually continuity errors common to many programmes. Also they seem to ignore the geographic locations every now and then. For example saying Stevenage is the local station for the Shuttleworth Collection and that the Grand Union Canal runs next to Wansford Station on the Nene Valley.

The series itself is fairly enjoyable in my view,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There's some really enjoyable variety in this with wonderful machinery. Maybe it doesn't get much reaction on here as it's so much more than just choo choos?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For old (ok I mean elderly) anoraks like me I would have prefered to see Paul teamed up with Tim Dunn. However 

Some of the content borders on cringeworthy but that's showbizz I suppose (eg John Seargeant both firing and driving the loco) I forget where, but yeah right ok then.

I fully accept that the series has to appeal to a far wider audience than daft old bxxggers like me and that to keep the attention of ''non train enthusiast'' bods for 60 minutes there has to be a bit of drama, kidology, or just plain geographical  twaddle, (see  OP) otherwise it wouldn't be on the box.

As AY says there's some wonderful old vehicles, road, rail and river, on the show, which are an enormous credit to their owners/ restorers, well worth the view.

I just mute the volume until Paul's talking. Works for me.

Kind Regards, Rich

Edited by TinTracks