DCC Power Booster Question

37Junkie22

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

im currently in the process of building a large layout and have been looking for a power booster to pair with my NCE Power Cab.

Unfortunately the one I wanted from DCC Concepts isn’t in stock. So iv been looking at other options.

Im looking at the DigiTrax DB150.

The question I would like to ask is, would this booster be compatible with my NCE power cab?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Talking about a large layout maybe youre going to outgrow the Powercab and might be thinking about options with compatible boosters, eg Roco Z21/z21

Powercab is very modular. You can update it bit by bit & end up with all the functionality of a Powerpro at no extra cost. & a Powerpro is comparable with other systems at the same price point.

Availability seems to be the issue right now though.

You only really need a booster if the number of locos or accessories is going to exceed the capabilities of the PowerCab.

So how many locos, what scale, are they sound equipped, and are you operating point motors with DCC.

As an example I had to add a booster to my Z21 3A powered N Gauge layout when I got to 40 loco's (non were sound equipped) and 70 Tortoise motors controlled by NCE Switch 8 decoders.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

at present I have 16 sound fitted locos and 43 dcc chipped locos.

I will be using point motors from dcc concepts.

The lighting ect will run on its own bus separately powered

thanks 

daniel 

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 37Junkie22 said:

at present I have 16 sound fitted locos and 43 dcc chipped locos.

… but how many are on your layout at the same time. And how many are likely to be moving at the same time.

11 hours ago, 37Junkie22 said:

..........Unfortunately the one I wanted from DCC Concepts isn’t in stock. So iv been looking at other options.

Im looking at the DigiTrax DB150.

The question I would like to ask is, would this booster be compatible with my NCE power cab?

The Digitrax DB150 was discontinued some time ago (unless you're looking at a s/h purchase.

This is a combined Command Station and Booster, but can be used in purely Booster mode.

However, it isn't compatible with NCE, as it requires a LocoNet connection to receive the DCC commands.

The PowerCab has an unusual system configuration, as the handset houses the system Command Station and Booster.

Therefore there are limited ways to add additional Boosters.

The obvious route is to add an NCE SB5 SmartBooster, as mentioned above, or upgrade to the full NCE system (PowerPro), by adding a PowerHouse Box.

As you may be aware, supplies of NCE products have been very limited, if not almost impossible to obtain over the last year.

The DCC Concepts Alpha Box + Alpha Power performs a similar role to the SB5 and would be a suitable alternative.

The only other option, is to use a "dumb" Booster that can accept its signal input from the DCC track power supply.

There are a few that either have that capability, or only have that type of input, but again, supplies of all these are difficult to source, with the general lack of availability.

(Examples: Tam Valley Depot 5 amp Booster card, Bachmann 5 amp Booster, Hornby Booster)

A new alternative for PowerCab users to upgrade, is switching to the new TCS DCC system.

This will accept the PowerCab as a wired handset and has the advantage of more features over the NCE system.

It's future proof as well, unlike the NCE kit....for those that are interested in certain new DCC capabilities.

Unfortunately, supplies in the UK are very limited at the present time.

• Informative/Useful 1

Personally I would keep it simple and separate the accessories, signal, turnout motors, etc onto another bus which can be done easily using the Cobalt Alpha DCC Power Bus Driver and SNIFFER Adapter (dccconcepts.com). This wont provide a true accessory bus because when there is a track short this will also be dead, but it will remove the current draw by the accessories from the track, and the Cobalt Digital IP motors are not an insignificant load on the DCC bus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

.....This wont provide a true accessory bus because when there is a track short this will also be dead, ......

???

How so?

It provides an independent accessory bus, not connected to the track supply nor the DCC system.

Any short on the track will not have any effect on this unconnected, independent accessory bus.

• Agree 1

But using the sniffer bus that I linked to and was suggesting is not independent. It is sniffing the commands on the DCC track bus and transferring them to another bus - a short on the DCC track bus switched it off, ergo no messages on DCC bus to be sniffed therefore nothing happens on the accessory bus’, hence it is not a true accessory bus which operates irrespective of the state of the DCC track bus.

16 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

But using the sniffer bus that I linked to and was suggesting is not independent. It is sniffing the commands on the DCC track bus and transferring them to another bus -.......

The DCD-SNX doesn't "sniff" DCC commands Iain.

It isn't a "sniffer".

The sniffer element of this device, is to provide an interface into DCC systems that have a sniffer port  (note., it's a "Sniffer Adapter").

As you know, sniffer ports in a host system, detect DCC commands from other DCC system outputs and make use of them within that host system.

In its "sniffer" capacity, the DCD-SNX acts as an interface for accessory devices to make inputs to a sniffer port equipped system.

It does this by being a sort of basic DCC command station.

As such it can generate the DCC commands that a sniffer port requires and can accept.

For example, sending control inputs from Cobalt Alpha (mimic board or S-Lever frame etc,), or Alpha Central, into for example, the sniffer port in an ECoS.

The other use of the DCD-SNX, is (as it says on the tin) to to drive a power bus.. i.e. its own DCC power bus output, which can be used to provide an independent accessory bus.

In this application control inputs from a mimic board control panel, point lever frame or the ready made Alpha Central point controller, would be converted into DCC commands by the DCD-SNX and transmitted on the independent accessory bus.

• Agree 1

On 06/05/2023 at 16:12, WIMorrison said:

But using the sniffer bus that I linked to and was suggesting is not independent. It is sniffing the commands on the DCC track bus and transferring them to another bus - a short on the DCC track bus switched it off, ergo no messages on DCC bus to be sniffed therefore nothing happens on the accessory bus’, hence it is not a true accessory bus which operates irrespective of the state of the DCC track bus.

The Alpha Sniffer driver DCD-SNX is not connected directly to the track bus, so will not shut down when the track shorts.

The Sniffer Driver can be used to create a "conventional" control panel using the Alpha control components such as Central/Switch-D/Alpha Encoder.

The output from the Sniffer can then be used to power a discrete (low power) accessory bus, or connected into the sniffer port of a system such as ESU ECoS or Roco Z21 and "piggyback" the accessory commands onto the main track bus.

If it is used as a discrete accessory bus, it will not short when the track shorts.

If it is combined with a system via a sniffer port, it would depend if the user then separates into track and accessory buses, typically with the track protected via a circuit breaker would determine if the accessory bus would shut down on a short or not.

The Sniffer driver would still be providing a signal to the main DCC system - i.e. it will not shut down.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1