Should I buy ECoS 50210 now, or wait...?

Chamby

Hi all 

I’m thinking of updating my dcc controller to ESU, I’ve been looking at 50113 ECoS MOBILE CONTROL HANDSET, I’ve looked on WSD website and it says you need 50210 controller for it to work? Is this true? The video from ESU says you don’t, just need some clarity? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rory

Yes the Mobile Control set 50113 does need the ECoS 50210 controller to function as it is only a wireless handset . The Cab Control system is probably what is confusing you as this is a stand alone system and the handset looks visually identical to the Mobile Control handset - The Cab Control system is intended for the US market only 

Regards

Bob 

• RMweb Gold

ESU announced Cab Control was going to be sold into Europe some time ago but not much seems to have happened. I imported Cab Control from the USA through Iron Planet Hobbies. Despite one or two issues along the way most of which were of my creation, I am well pleased with Cab Control.

4 hours ago, resin001 said:

Hi Rory

Yes the Mobile Control set 50113 does need the ECoS 50210 controller to function as it is only a wireless handset . The Cab Control system is probably what is confusing you as this is a stand alone system and the handset looks visually identical to the Mobile Control handset - The Cab Control system is intended for the US market only 

Regards

Bob 

First may I be so bold as to correct some bad but entirely understandable misunderstandings. 

The Cab Control set uses exactly the same Mobile Control 2 handset as is sold to work with the ECoS.

It isn't just visually identical, it is the same item. 

As it was first announced for the ECoS, it is probably better to say that CabControl uses the same Mobile Control 2 handset as the ECoS.

The Mobile Control 2 handset is listed as 2 separate items on the ESU website.

One, 50113, includes a wireless access point for ECoS users who either don't have home WiFi or their WiFi router is too far away from their ECoS for an easy cable connection and a reliable WiFi link.

The other, 50114, is just the handset on its own, which is what you'd buy if you already have your ECoS connected to your home WiFi or wanted additional handsets for your ECoS or CabControl. CabControl, unlike ECoS, has its own built-in WiFi system. 

Second, the CabControl was originally intended for N America and Australia. It was also sold in Europe and N America under the Piko brand as SmartControl.

Thirdly, the videos were made for the N American market and will primarily have been aimed at current and potential CabControl owners.  If you want info about ESU products look at the product descriptions on the ESU website or download the manuals from their Downloads pages. 

Finally, Mobile Control 2 is not a standalone DCC system. It will only work with ECoS or CabControl. In theory, it could work with other makes using WiFi, and ESU did release the code for the throttle knob. But to the best of my knowledge no one has yet written Android apps to use Mobile Control 2 with other makes or systems. 

Here's the history of CabControl. 2-3 years ago, possibly longer, Piko stopped supporting SmartControl and withdrew the ESU supplied SmartControl from sale. They changed to another system made by Uhlenbrock which at the time Piko called SmartControl Lite. It is not the same system as the ESU made original and the components are not interchangeable. 

Late last year, I think it was, ESU announced a programme where owners of Piko SmartControl could have them "upgraded" to ESU CabControl for a price. That allowed them to receive updated firmware again after Piko ended support. 

Then at the beginning of this year, 2023, ESU announced that they would start selling CabControl in Europe and presumably that will include the UK at some point. However, as far as I know, that hasn't happened yet. I believe that may be down to supply problems rather than a change of strategy as they still show it in the German language part of their website as coming to Europe, but no longer quote a planned release Quarter, or they didn't when I last looked. 

The original ESU part number for CabControl is 50310, whilst for the version for Europe it is 50311. As far as is known there is no difference in the spec between them, and the change may be down to nothing more than including a german language version of the user manual in the box. However, the Mobile Control 2 currently uses Android 6, so there may be a change to a later version of Android which might explain the two different part numbers. But this is all just speculation on my part. 

For more background look at the DCC Discussions sub-forum. 

Edited by GoingUnderground
Add additional info and correct typos.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2023 at 19:45, GoingUnderground said:

……….at the beginning of this year, 2023, ESU announced that they would start selling CabControl in Europe and presumably that will include the UK at some point.
However, as far as I know, that hasn't happened yet.

I believe that may be down to supply problems rather than a change of strategy as they still show it in the German language part of their website as coming to Europe, but no longer quote a planned release Quarter, or they didn't when I last looked. 

The original ESU part number for CabControl is 50310, whilst for the version for Europe it is 50311.
As far as is known there is no difference in the spec between them, and the change may be down to nothing more than including a german language version of the user manual in the box.

However, the Mobile Control 2 currently uses Android 6, so there may be a change to a later version of Android which might explain the two different part numbers.

But this is all just speculation on my part…..

A month and a half later…..an update.

ESU CEO Jürgen Lindner, was present at Warley on Saturday.

When asked about CabControl for Europe, he said they are now expecting deliveries in Q2 2024.

The model number change is due to a technical update, with new more powerful processors and a more up-to- date version of Android.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 00:58, Ron Ron Ron said:

A month and a half later…..an update.

ESU CEO Jürgen Lindner, was present at Warley on Saturday.

When asked about CabControl for Europe, he said they are now expecting deliveries in Q2 2024.

The model number change is due to a technical update, with new more powerful processors and a more up-to- date version of Android.

Yes, when I spoke to him he did mention that changes were on the way for Mobile Control 2, but didn't go into details. I'm not surprised that the processor and Android version is changing. Even Android 6 used on later MC2s must be totally defunct by now.

• Like 1

I don't normally spread unsubstantiated rumours, but there has been a passing mention on the ESU website forum of an ECoS "50220". This isn't too surprising as the availability of components must be pusing ESU towards internal changes to the ECoS even if they feel that the design concept of a twin "Duette" style full colour console is still valid.

The model shop listing it calls it the "ECoS 2.5" and the illustration shows what looks like an externally unchanged ECoS, but that could, of course, just be because the shop doesn't have an ilustration of the potential new model itself and is using a stock photo of the current ECoS 2.1.

If there is an updated ECoS on the way I wouldn't let it discourage me from buying an existing ECoS 2.1 as when ESU launched the colour ECoS 2 over 13 years ago they gave a commitment to existing owners of the original monochrome ECoS 50000 to keep developing the firmware for the monochrome ECoS. So far they have kept their word, and judging by this past precedent one's investment in an ECoS 2.1  looks to be secure.

However, there will obviously come a point when it is not commercially viable to keep supporting the older monochrome model 50000 simply because of a declining user base.

• Informative/Useful 1