Humboldt (was West Hazleton Transload)

Alcanman

Continuing my theme of building layouts inspired by the Reading & Northern railroad in eastern Pennsylvania, here is my latest effort.

The R&N successfully began a transload facility in West Hazleton PA in 2020. I decided this would be an ideal subject for my latest layout.

I did have a UK themed layout already built which had been languishing around for a few months due to lack of modelling mojo and it occured to me that it could easily be repurposed into a small US switching layout.

A couple of weeks ago I started work transforming the layout and here is the result - A simple inglenook with 2 industry spurs.

DSCF5103 (4).JPG

West Hazleton Transload 2023.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

The Reading & Northern interchanges with Norfolk Southern giving me the opportunity to run my NS GP38-2.

After posting these photos on a Facebook forum, I received an unusual request. A NS engineer asked me if I would like to sell NS #5664 as he had worked on the engine. Interestingly, he lives in Pennsylvania and used to work for Reading & Northern.

I had to explain that I live in the UK and didn't want to sell as US locos are hard to come by here. 

DSCF5104 (3).JPG

DSCF5105 (2).JPG

• Like 13

I usually make seamoss trees and bushes to use on my layouts, however, I thought I'd try out some ready made Noch Profi trees and place them in front of my seamoss bushes.

Noch use they same type of leaves leaves that I use, so they blend in quite nicely.

new layout 21.5.23.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
error
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new addition to my small fleet of freight cars is this highly detailed Athearn Genesis boxcar and the most I've ever payed for a freight car at £40.00.

The car includes rotating axle boxes. One had come loose so I tried to refit it only for the tiny part to fly off , land on the floor, and become gobbled up by the carpet monster!

Thoughtfully, Athearn had included 2 spares. Sadly, they also met the same fate as the original!

Personally, I would prefer less detail and cheaper models!

wht 8.7.23.JPG

wht 8.7.23 - 1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Alcanman changed the title to West Hazleton Transload v2.0

During the summer, I decided to rebuild West Hazleton Transload to include a run around. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the layout had originally been built  as a UK themed small steel terminal.

I do prefer to see trains arriving with the loco leading and also like the idea of simply placing outbound cars on the run around track. 

The long spur at the back has now receives flour in covered hoppers, in addition to boxcars and corn syrup tank cars.

The transload spur at the front receives steel loads in gondolas. The prototype WHT actually receives steel coil loads.

Good progress so far with track laid and wiring completed. I'm enjoying the simplicity of operations..

new layout 2023 jpeg 2.jpg

new layout 2023 - 1.JPG

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The real Humboldt Industrial park has 3 companies that receive covered hoppers - Vitapet pet foods and Cargill (which presumably receives cocoa beans to make chocolate) . There's also a company by the yard office on White Birch Road that takes plastic pellet hoppers inbound.

liking the theme

• Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, Supaned said:

The real Humboldt Industrial park has 3 companies that receive covered hoppers - Vitapet pet foods and Cargill (which presumably receives cocoa beans to make chocolate) . There's also a company by the yard office on White Birch Road that takes plastic pellet hoppers inbound.

liking the theme

Thanks for the info. Cargill looks like a good choice. I wasn't aware they received covered hoppers.

I've changed the layout name to Humboldt as the Humboldt Industrial Park was the original inspiration for the layout.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3

• Alcanman changed the title to Humboldt (was West Hazleton Transload)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally got my modelling mojo back after a few months of inactivity. Fired up my favourite U23B and enjoyed a short switching session.

Originally, I had intended to scenic the staging track, however, I never got round to it. Somehow it wasn't working for me so I decided to use a road bridge to hide the staging track.

This would also provide space to store spare locos and rolling stock. I dug out a road bridge from an old layout and adapted it to fit. Much happier with this arrangement.

DSCF5130.JPG

DSCF5135.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1