Β 

Humboldt (was West Hazleton Transload)

Continuing my theme of building layouts inspired by the Reading & Northern railroad in eastern Pennsylvania, here is my latest effort.

The R&N successfully began a transload facility in West Hazleton PA in 2020. I decided this would be an ideal subject for my latest layout.

Β 

Β I did have a UK themed layout already built which had been languishing around for a few months due to lack of modelling mojo and it occured to me that it could easily be repurposed into a small US switching layout.

Β 

A couple of weeks ago I started work transforming the layout and here is the result - A simple inglenook with 2 industry spurs.

Β 

Β 

DSCF5103 (4).JPG

West Hazleton Transload 2023.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

Β The Reading & Northern interchanges with Norfolk Southern giving me the opportunity to run my NS GP38-2.

Β 

After posting these photos on a Facebook forum, I received an unusual request. A NS engineer asked me if I would like to sell NS #5664 as he had worked on the engine. Interestingly, he lives in Pennsylvania and used to work for Reading & Northern.

Β 

I had to explain that I live in the UK and didn't want to sell as US locos are hard to come by here.Β 

DSCF5104 (3).JPG

DSCF5105 (2).JPG

• Like 13

I usually make seamoss trees and bushes to use on my layouts, however, I thought I'd try out some ready made Noch Profi trees and place them in front of my seamoss bushes.

Β 

Noch use they same type of leaves leaves that I use, so they blend in quite nicely.

new layout 21.5.23.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
error
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new addition to my small fleet of freight cars is this highly detailed Athearn Genesis boxcar and the most I've ever payed for a freight car at Β£40.00.

Β 

The car includes rotating axle boxes. One had come loose so I tried to refit it only for the tiny part to fly off , land on the floor, and become gobbled up by the carpet monster!

Β 

Thoughtfully, Athearn had included 2 spares. Sadly, they also met the same fate as the original!

Β 

Personally, I would prefer less detail and cheaper models!

wht 8.7.23.JPG

wht 8.7.23 - 1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Alcanman changed the title to West Hazleton Transload v2.0

During the summer, I decided to rebuild West Hazleton Transload to include a run around. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the layout had originally been builtΒ  as a UK themed small steel terminal.

Β 

I do prefer to see trains arriving with the loco leading and also like the idea of simply placing outbound cars on the run around track.Β 

Β 

The long spur at the back has now receives flour in covered hoppers, in addition to boxcars and corn syrup tank cars.

Β 

The transload spur at the front receives steel loads in gondolas. The prototype WHT actually receives steel coil loads.

Β 

Β Good progress so far with track laid and wiring completed. I'm enjoying the simplicity of operations..

Β 

new layout 2023 jpeg 2.jpg

new layout 2023 - 1.JPG

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The real Humboldt Industrial park has 3 companies that receive covered hoppers - Vitapet pet foods and Cargill (which presumably receives cocoa beans to make chocolate) . There's also a company by the yard office on White Birch Road that takes plastic pellet hoppers inbound.

Β 

liking the theme

• Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, Supaned said:

The real Humboldt Industrial park has 3 companies that receive covered hoppers - Vitapet pet foods and Cargill (which presumably receives cocoa beans to make chocolate) . There's also a company by the yard office on White Birch Road that takes plastic pellet hoppers inbound.

Β 

liking the theme

Thanks for the info. Cargill looks like a good choice. I wasn't aware they received covered hoppers.

Β 

Β 

I've changed the layout name to Humboldt as the Humboldt Industrial Park was the original inspiration for the layout.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3

• Alcanman changed the title to Humboldt (was West Hazleton Transload)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally got my modelling mojo back after a few months of inactivity. Fired up my favourite U23B and enjoyed a short switching session.

Β 

Originally, I had intended to scenic the staging track, however, I never got round to it. Somehow it wasn't working for me so I decided to use a road bridge to hide the staging track.

Β 

This would also provide space to store spare locos and rolling stock. I dug out a road bridge from an old layout and adapted it to fit. Much happier with this arrangement.

DSCF5130.JPG

DSCF5135.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1