Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ENAMEL VARNISH INFO

Hi All, I need to gloss varnish over some enamel paint, Quite a large area  (gauge one coach sides ) All i can find is Humbrol , either a little spray can or in tins, Can i ask has anyone any experience with these, Is the spray can any good or  can i thin the tins of varnish with Humbrol enamel thinners and spray this.

Thankyou

Garry

You could try spray cans of gloss varnish from Poundland , they are £2.50 per can , I've bought some of the matt varnish , which I've only tested it out on a  piece of plastic sheet I sprayed gloss  chrome , it toned down the gloss finish just fine  , so no doubt the gloss varnish should be the same , maybe  worth a try , as above test out on something else before committing it  to your model .

Edited by bazjones1711

You could look at an acrylic varnish such as Vallejo, Army Painter or Winsor & Newton Galleria.  Very hard wearing and wont yellow over time.

I would avoid Humbrol sprays like the plaque.

Edited by Type 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

You could try spray cans of gloss varnish from Poundland , they are £2.50 per can , I've bought some of the matt varnish , which I've only tested it out on a  piece of plastic sheet I sprayed gloss  chrome , it toned down the gloss finish just fine  , so no doubt the gloss varnish should be the same , maybe  worth a try , as above test out on something else before committing it  to your model .

I've tried those too, I found that they yellow over a few months 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've used Halfords clear lacquer in a spray can -  but please test first..

Chris H

I found this works pretty well, it can frost and pool quite easily if sprayed too heavily

It does dry good and I've had an auto model sitting on a window ledge for a couple of year with no fade or yellowing to the gloss nor paint underneath

I agree with Type 2, Humbrol spray enamel varnish is great if you get a can that works but 3 out of 5 cans will do just one pass then completely jam up. I have used the Halfords matt lacquer and that goes on a treat with an even controllable spray all the way to the end of the can, it doesnt dry with a completely flat matt finish though more eggshell. I would assume their gloss lacquer would be just as good.

Geoff

• Like 1

Thankyou for the replies, much Appreciated, I am reluctant to use the Halfords spray cans, as i have been told that they are acrylic and this will affect the enamel paint,  Hence my question on the humbrol varnish as this was the only one i could find that was enamel, I have seen that phoenix paints  who do railway colours also sell an enamel spray varnish, But they say that it must be spayed very, very thin, so that sound like trouble to me, any way reading above it sounds like i may do a tester and see it it effects my paint. 

Thanks

Garry

24 minutes ago, mswjr said:

Thankyou for the replies, much Appreciated, I am reluctant to use the Halfords spray cans, as i have been told that they are acrylic and this will affect the enamel paint,  Hence my question on the humbrol varnish as this was the only one i could find that was enamel, I have seen that phoenix paints  who do railway colours also sell an enamel spray varnish, But they say that it must be spayed very, very thin, so that sound like trouble to me, any way reading above it sounds like i may do a tester and see it it effects my paint. 

Thanks

Garry

Acrylics wont affect the enamel paint as long as it is fully hardened, i.e a good few days in a warm environment - I always leave at least 48 hours before applying a top coat.

• Thanks 1

I always use enamel paints to spray my models and seal all transfers with Halfords lacquer and it has never reacted with the enamel, as Type 2 says let the enamel fully harden before applying the lacquer. I tend to leave my models at least a week before applying it.

Geoff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My experience is like many others. Avoid the cheap spray cans as not only do they throw out the varnish far too heavy, but they yellow very quickly.

Proper model varnish is much better and I have used several. Avoid the humbrol spray cans.

Certainly I would always prefer my airbrush over cans.  Any of the model enamel varnishes should be fine, thinned appropriately.  Several thin costs will give you a very good finish.

Ian

• Thanks 1

I’ve heard many tales of woe in regard to ‘model’ varnishes, Humbrol/Precision/Railmatch with their various thinners. Why not go to an actual paint shop (not a chain DIY store) and buy some Ronseal Hardglaze Polyurethane varnish and a can of white spirit, mix 50:50 and off you go. I know for a fact that at least one of the thinners mentioned above is pure white spirit, sold in a tiny can at a 500% mark up.

Practise, practise, practise on something that doesn’t matter before applying it to the model. I always use gloss paint so I add a little Precision Matting Agent to the mix, and sometimes a single drop of black paint. I’ve varnished over 1500 locos and coaches with it.

Ian R

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

I`ve always used Halfords or belton molotow acrylic paints on my models,finished after transferring with Railmatch enamel satin varnishwith an airbrush these days.You can`t take the risk of acrylic paint on enamels or transfers,An example.

Ray.

Front view.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'm not good with paints but I have always followed the advice given by Ian Rathbone, Start a test sheet as you start to paint a model  and test each layer on there before the model. I have binned a lot of horrible test sheets but that is what they are for. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, A quick update, I followed Ian Rathbones advice and i am well chuffed, I managed to get hold of the varnish he told me to get mixed 50 / 50  and  sprayed away with my air brush. everything went just great , just waiting for tomorrow now so i can do the other side of the models, so very happy many thanks for the advice. 

Garry

• Like 1