New Hornby Mallard Set

meatloaf

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2023 at 22:27, meatloaf said:

Has anyone purchased the mallard record breaker set? 

Was wondering if the dcc socket was in the loco or tender? I know its railroad spec but i have models with the socket in the loco or the tender.

Hi Meatloaf,

We currently have one DCC fitted running on the shops 8x4 window layout. The model has the decoder socket, 8 pin, in the tender. The model also features pick ups on all 6 loco wheels and all 8 tender wheels. Tender has a NEM coupling which can be swapped for something else if required. Powered by a flywheel can motor located in the loco body, not sure if it is 5 or 3 pole though. Loco to tender are permanently coupled and has the male/female wire and plug socket. The tender also has a speaker chamber ready for a circular speaker which isn't pre fitted you have to supply your own. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Regarding R1282M Mallard Record Breaker Train Set - Era 3.

Lots of room in the Tender.

Here, I'm fitting an older DCC concepts decoder with basic stay alive (direct fit).

Hope this is helpful. It's a railroad spec model, albeit with a decent application of printed details (BR early crest, Speed record plaque on the side).

The box art however incorrectly shows the super detail model, drawing the buyer to lamp irons fitted on the front, as well as a super detail coal tender (devoid of the large coal hump formerly used to hide the tender drive motor in the earlier models). The box art is therefore misleading.

IMG_20230803_164044.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1