Older Mexican locos

steve1

• RMweb Gold

The loco’s are a EMD FT-A, possibly one of a handful that exist, next is a Alco ex Santa Fe PA-1 which was one of four later sold to the Delaware &Hudson and rebuilt as a PA-4 by M-K in the early 70’s.  I believe only two now exist.

Next is a EMD F-9A (only identifiable by the extra body side louvre between the cab door and first porthole).  The next appears to be a Alco RS-11 hauling a GE unit, but can’t be 100% certain.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

The loco’s are a EMD FT-A, possibly one of a handful that exist, next is a Alco ex Santa Fe PA-1 which was one of four later sold to the Delaware &Hudson and rebuilt as a PA-4 by M-K in the early 70’s.  I believe only two now exist.

Next is a EMD F-9A (only identifiable by the extra body side louvre between the cab door and first porthole).  The next appears to be a Alco RS-11 hauling a GE unit, but can’t be 100% certain.

Definitely an RS11. It was something of a celebrity on the ex-Pacifico region at the time.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Curlew said:

Definitely an RS11. It was something of a celebrity on the ex-Pacifico region at the time.

We had it for haulage during our trip in 1996.

steve

Edited by steve1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the two repatriated PAs in 2003.  16 unrestored at Albany OR and 19 undergoing restoration by Doyle McCormack at Brooklyn roundhouse in Portland.  You may be wondering why it's now Nickel Plate 190 given its Santa Fe and D&H heritage.  Well, the NKP was Doyle's hometown railroad as a boy and "It's my locomotive and I'll paint it how I want."  He got a pair of trucks from a retired CP MoW vehicle that had started life as a GE "Erie" B unit and fitted an engine from a former British Columbia M424.  

The other one was going to be cosmetically restored to its original Santa Fe Warbonnet livery for the Smithsonian but I'm not sure if that's ever happened.

R-DLMX-007_DH16AlbanyOR2-10-03.jpg.e8b177a741c933d4b4a64b06e20bc45d.jpg

R-DLMX-010_NKP190BrooklynPortlandOR2-10-03.jpg.37ce2116d1ba6f79746d5fc87cae4855.jpg

On the subject of EMD noses, there were basically two styles which enthusiasts call "Slant Nose" and "Bulldog".

The former was used on all E models (Except the E2 which had a custom design) up to and including the E6.  The E7 saw the switch to the shorter, more upright Bulldog style for standardisation, part of EMD's relentless quest to drive down construction costs.  The same style was also used on the E8 and E9.  

The Bulldog nose was applied across all F series models; FT, F2, F3, F7 and F9.  The only real difference between the F version and those on the E8 and E9 was that the latter had flush number boxes whereas on the others they stood proud.

The only use of the slant nose on a B-B unit was the six TA units built for the Rock Island in 1937, predating the FT.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Here's the two repatriated PAs in 2003.  16 unrestored at Albany OR and 19 undergoing restoration by Doyle McCormack at Brooklyn roundhouse in Portland.  You may be wondering why it's now Nickel Plate 190 given its Santa Fe and D&H heritage.  Well, the NKP was Doyle's hometown railroad as a boy and "It's my locomotive and I'll paint it how I want."  He got a pair of trucks from a retired CP MoW vehicle that had started life as a GE "Erie" B unit and fitted an engine from a former British Columbia M424.  

The other one was going to be cosmetically restored to its original Santa Fe Warbonnet livery for the Smithsonian but I'm not sure if that's ever happened.

R-DLMX-007_DH16AlbanyOR2-10-03.jpg.e8b177a741c933d4b4a64b06e20bc45d.jpg

R-DLMX-010_NKP190BrooklynPortlandOR2-10-03.jpg.37ce2116d1ba6f79746d5fc87cae4855.jpg

On the subject of EMD noses, there were basically two styles which enthusiasts call "Slant Nose" and "Bulldog".

The former was used on all E models (Except the E2 which had a custom design) up to and including the E6.  The E7 saw the switch to the shorter, more upright Bulldog style for standardisation, part of EMD's relentless quest to drive down construction costs.  The same style was also used on the E8 and E9.  

The Bulldog nose was applied across all F series models; FT, F2, F3, F7 and F9.  The only real difference between the F version and those on the E8 and E9 was that the latter had flush number boxes whereas on the others they stood proud.

The only use of the slant nose on a B-B unit was the six TA units built for the Rock Island in 1937, predating the FT.

Is that FT in the first picture just a standard nose? It looks more slant than standard,  must be the angle of the camera 

• RMweb Premium

Probably the camera angle or reproduction of the print, notice the angle of the rear.  These drawings compare the FT with the most numerous of the breed, the F7.  The only difference as built was the size and position of the number boards.

image.png.152c78eb27729a3d5391e6f5d50bf9ee.png

image.png.2379886a20f2221b25daee53a4554767.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2023 at 09:45, russ p said:

Is the top on an FT with a shovel nose like early E units?

Not a shovel nose, it's just the standard EMD 'bulldog' nose introduced by the FT / FS series locomotives (tho 'bulldog' may be the Aussie term for it.) 

It is a former Northern Pacific unit from an A-B set, bought by Sonora Baja-California probably around 1970.

Some of the late-surviving NP FTs actually made it into the Burlington Northen era . . .  at least for a few days. 

Edited by teletougos
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, teletougos said:

Not a shovel nose, it's just the standard EMD 'bulldog' nose introduced by the FT / FS series locomotives (tho 'bulldog' may be the Aussie term for it.) 

It is a former Northern Pacific unit from an A-B set, bought by Sonora Baja-California probably around 1970.

Some of the late-surviving NP FTs actually made it into the Burlington Northen era . . .  at least for a few days. 

Must be the angle of the camera as looks more slanted than a Bulldog nose

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, teletougos said:

Yeah you can see the back part of the photo is kind of warped.

A friend had another picture of that loco and it is standard