Bradford exchange around 1960 - Arrivals/departures

• RMweb Premium

Hello all

please can anyone help by either providing me with information or pointing me in the right direction.

I am hoping to build a model of Bradford Exchange and its immediate approaches. Although I have amassed a fair amount of info and photos I would dearly like to have a copy of the weekday timetable of arrivals/ departures for 1960 (summer or winter).

Would be most grateful if anyone can help.

In the January 1990 edition of Model Railways there is a superb article by John Cockcroft, detailing in full the passenger workings for the L&YR side of Bradford Exchange for Summer 1954. He discusses the various movements, and there is sufficient information to reproduce the operations in full, and I have always thought it would be fun to try it out myself. 
The L&YR Society has recently published a book detailing the goods workings from the adjacent Bridge Street Goods station, although is rather earlier, being pre-grouping, but I suspect that little changed until the sixties.

Unfortunately there is no similar information covering the GNR side of the station.

• 4 months later...

Hello Roger,

Sorry to be so late in replying to your question.

I have scans of the North Eastern Region Passenger Working Timetable Section K for June 1960 and September 1960, which covers Arrivals/Departures of trains to/from the Halifax direction, which I as I understand it, covers all activities on the L&Y side of the station. Let me know if you're interested and I will send them to you.

The GN side of the station - Arrivals/Departures of trains to/from the Leeds direction will be covered by Section J but I don't have copies of this until after 1962 by which time the timetable was very different due to dieselisation of the Leeds-Bradford-Manchester service in January of that year. The NRM (and I imagine the National Archives at Kew) have copies that you can photograph, or there's always a chance of it turning up on eBay.

The NER passenger timetables are readily available on ebay, but of course they will lack any information about light engine movements, ECS trains, and Parcels trains.

Here's a link to the Summer 1960 one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166416295107

Best wishes,

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Ed

Thankyou very much for this information. I’m still looking at modelling Bradford Exchange in the early 60,s so any further info would be much appreciated. I’d be very interested in seeing the scans you have. Would it be possible to PM me with them?

Many thanks.

On 05/11/2023 at 12:50, Roger Sunderland said:

Ed

Thankyou very much for this information. I’m still looking at modelling Bradford Exchange in the early 60,s so any further info would be much appreciated. I’d be very interested in seeing the scans you have. Would it be possible to PM me with them?

Many thanks.

PMs sent.

best wishes,

Ed