HTVs in Cambridge sand traffic

lather

Looking at pictures of HTVs on Paul Bartlett's website, I've noticed several with branding stating that they should be returned to Cambridge. Some of them also carry additional "M.O.D." branding, which I assume means that they are dedicated to some form of Ministry of Defence use.

So, the question is (if my assumption is correct), why would the MoD need HTVs full of sand (I know that "to fill bags" is the obvious answer!), would it be trainload or wagonload, where would the traffic originate, and to which destinations?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, lather said:

Looking at pictures of HTVs on Paul Bartlett's website, I've noticed several with branding stating that they should be returned to Cambridge. Some of them also carry additional "M.O.D." branding, which I assume means that they are dedicated to some form of Ministry of Defence use.

So, the question is (if my assumption is correct), why would the MoD need HTVs full of sand (I know that "to fill bags" is the obvious answer!), would it be trainload or wagonload, where would the traffic originate, and to which destinations?

The traffic originated from sand pits, located on the truncated Kettering - Cambridge line, near St. Ives. I believe that the destination was somewhere in North London.

I don't recall the MOD marking - the line ran within a few hundred yards of our then-home; I strongly doubt that it referred to the MoD.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Might 'MOD' be 'Mod' indicating some modification that had been carried out, such as seals to stop sand being lost in  transit?

Believe me - there was plenty of lost sand.

When the line closed, there were two rails, half buried in sand; (until travellers camped on the trackbed and several rails disappeared).

You could easily detect the route of the sand trains through the Cambridge station track complex, by the fact that the ballast and sleepers were buried in sand.

CJI.