DCC layout with DC wires

Hi,

I have a small DCC layout, wired with bus wires, many connections to tracks and isolated points. Works great with my lenz controller in DCC. 

I switched off my DCC controller, unplugged it and plugged in by DC controller to operate a DC loco. All DCC locos off the tracks. The DCC loco ran fine, but I noticed the handset on the DCC controller lit up. 

Is this normal and ok? 

If I want to run the layout in DC mode should I do anything different? 

Thanks in advance. 

You mean you hadn't disconnected the DCC system from the layout first? You may not have broken it, but I would not be wanting to supply any sort of voltage to its output.

Out club layout can use both. We have a DPDT switch allowing the operator to choose whether they want to use DC or DCC. I noticed last night that somebody had unplugged the DC controller while they were using the DCC system. I felt that was a sensible extra precaution.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, BlackFivesMatter said:

I switched off my DCC controller, unplugged it and plugged in by DC controller to operate a DC loco. All DCC locos off the tracks. The DCC loco ran fine, but I noticed the handset on the DCC controller lit up. 

Not enough info.😉

You say the DCC system was unplugged - from the layout or from the mains?

If it has been completely unplugged from the layout the controller cannot light up.

37 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

We have a DPDT switch allowing the operator to choose whether they want to use DC or DCC

I use plug/socket combos to connect to a common but isolated length of track used for testing, (you can't get two plugs into one socket😄).

It can be connected to the layout, or a Sprog or a DC supply.

• Like 1

Sounds like it was switched off at and unplugged from the mains but the DC controller stuffed voltage back down its throat generating the odd indication. You will be lucky not to have b*ggered the DCC controller.

Edited by RAF96
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2023 at 09:23, melmerby said:

Not enough info.😉

You say the DCC system was unplugged - from the layout or from the mains?

If it has been completely unplugged from the layout the controller cannot light up.

Certainly not enough info.

A DCC controller plugged into the mains can do stuff, including lighting up - it doesn't know that it's been disconnected from the track. It'll still function like normal. 

If the DCC controller was still connected to the track at the same time as the DC controller then it's possible some damage was done - the simple way to check is to disconnect the DC controller, reconnect the DCC box and see what happens. It'll either work or it wont!

On 22/06/2023 at 08:28, BlackFivesMatter said:

If I want to run the layout in DC mode should I do anything different? 

As has been mentioned, you need to be 100% sure that a DC controller and DCC controller can not be connected at the same time. Using a DPDT switch but I'd take the approach of having a single connector so you can only ever have one connected to the layout at a time. Also be aware that any gadgets relying on DCC track power including frog juicers and block detections may not like having a DC voltage applied. Best case nothing will go wrong, things just won't work. Worst case you'll start letting out the magic smoke that makes electronics work!

Steven B.