Oh for a good Thump or my journey into 3D

Well a further diversion and still a warning about the colour………

IMG_2702.jpeg.dfae980e0779e6ccb4113c447c2c5975.jpeg

First try of a typical Ffestiniog/Welsh highland coach number 22. Yes I know the roof does not fit.

Also started on play with Templot and plug track after a-couple of false starts here is a test track panel for EM gauge.

IMG_2705.jpeg.9554074785b720aa04439d611b347836.jpeg

Keith

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Nick C said:

I've just been watching @makeitminiature's video on the plug track, it looks like a very good idea!

Yes Nick the video is brilliant and I just followed the instructions and within a couple of hours I had a test panel printed despite the computer issues. Well another day and more test pieces. I can report that my computer issues have been resolved. As ever for all the latest details on plug track the Templot forum is the place to go to.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Yes Nick the video is brilliant and I just followed the instructions and within a couple of hours I had a test panel printed despite the computer issues. Well another day and more test pieces. I can report that my computer issues have been resolved. As ever for all the latest details on plug track the Templot forum is the place to go to.

Keith

I think I'll be having to get a 3d printer before long! Shame it needs two types though, I'm sure I'm not alone in not having the money or space for both. 

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

I think I'll be having to get a 3d printer before long! Shame it needs two types though, I'm sure I'm not alone in not having the money or space for both. 

The cost of printers are falling. Basic and very capable machines of both types are now available namely for FDM there is the Kingroom and for resin there is the Geeteck Alkaid both currently at just over £100 a piece. But it maybe a local group of friends or a model club may have access to both types of machine. Currently I have an FDM machine but SWMBO is thinking of talking to Father Christmas about the Geeteck. However I am also as seen above designing items for my hobby as well as the plug track.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I've just seen this topic, I had no idea you were working on Thumpers, and I'm really impressed with what you've achieved.  Really well done.  :)

It's been on my list to draw up a Hastings unit.  I have the Bachmann version in the box with a set of P4 wheels to convert it, but somehow I just can't muster the enthusiasm.  I'd much rather scratch build.  My problem has been finding a decent reference drawing.  Can you recommend a source?

Hastings Diesels' shed is just down the beach from me, so maybe at some point I'll pop along and ask if I can measure theirs up.  :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, makeitminiature said:

Hi Keith,

I've just seen this topic, I had no idea you were working on Thumpers, and I'm really impressed with what you've achieved.  Really well done.  :)

It's been on my list to draw up a Hastings unit.  I have the Bachmann version in the box with a set of P4 wheels to convert it, but somehow I just can't muster the enthusiasm.  I'd much rather scratch build.  My problem has been finding a decent reference drawing.  Can you recommend a source?

Hastings Diesels' shed is just down the beach from me, so maybe at some point I'll pop along and ask if I can measure theirs up.  :)

Hi James, thank you for the kind comments. As for drawings I am still looking for some as well. I am working from the diagram books found on the Barrowmore group website so far from a rivet counters needs. I contacted Hastings diesel but they said they did not have any drawings. From then on I used some dimensions from the Golding book of Southern my thinking be that Eastleigh would have standard jigs .

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

More playtime with design and printing. I have been planning for many years to model part of the Three Bridges to East Grinstead line. Over the years I have built up a lot of information from various sources. Ian White who built a model based on Rowfant sent me copies of some of the drawings for both of the station buildings. By using one or two of the known dimensions I was able to trace the outline and door and window positions. I have then built up a 3D model that with adjustments could be used as a core. This core would then be lined with embossed brick sheets. So here is Rowfant north station building with out the porch to the western end at the moment.

Keith

IMG_2720.jpeg.3aedf2a926e1a2a7c2f55228bae9026b.jpegIMG_2719.jpeg.b2416c960f9a5ad6a68407ec22bb6d66.jpeg

Edited by KeithHC
Correction
  • Like 3

Thanks Steve most of the outline has come from the diagram books already. I have assumed that sizing of windows compartments etc would be standard. Therefore I think Eastleigh would just use jigs it already has. However occasionally when I have drawn out a side it does not appear right and despite using what I think is a standard measurement I have to tweak my drawing. However some time sides match different units. The sides for the motor coach for both the Hampshire’s and Oxteds are the same. Yes there is the Berkshire variant and I have that drawn out as well. Again the length of the cab and engine room on all the DEMUs is common across all the variants including the Hastings. The other references I use are Goldings Southern EMU and Parkins book of the Mk1. I do keep going back and redo drawings as I learn newer ways of doing bits. I know that my models do not come up to the standards of both mainstream manufacturers and rivet counters but for me they will look ok at the three feet distance. This to me is all part of the enjoyment of getting into 3D as can be seen from the diverse models I am doing. As I have said before I have looked in awe at those individuals that can turn metal and plastics into models but I am to an extent ham fisted however I seam to be able to manipulate computer software that can produce models to a standard that I am content with.

Keith

On 11/11/2023 at 17:44, Nick C said:

Nick

I am just starting my own journey in 3D printing and whilst I am not rich I try to minimize what I spend on my modelling activities. Like many over the years I have brought far too many things I will never get round to using and will continue to do so. As I have stopper reinvesting the proceeds my railway savings account is in a good condition

For my birthday I asked the family for Amazon gift cards, these were sufficient to buy me a FDM printer and the cost of sundries to get printing needed very little funding. So for the benefit of my conscience my birthday presents got me up and running

Initially I was going to depend on the good will of others by paying for chairs to be printed, however with resin printers costing just over £80 I decided to dip into my model railway savings. For me as I am downsizing my model railway collection its a non cost process, I realize others may not be so lucky, but for the price of a top class RTR loco or a decent loco kit (with wheels gears and motor ) I have a print set up

Next up is the savings these machines will make on building track, with comparable conventional turnout kits ranging from £30 to £60 a time RTR scale turnouts £40+ even a pack of copperclad strip costing up to £33. These machines are cheap and pay for themselves very quickly. Turnout bases are costing me 40p each, apparently chairs for the turnouts will cost about the same as the bases each. Rail will cost £1.50 to £2 per turnout. No expensive gauges are required, and cheap filing jigs can be easily printed

Why not team up with others ? share prints with each other ? Or form a group to assist each other.. There are always ways around problems and railway modelers seem to be a very helpful and sharing group. 

• Like 1