RMweb

Greenwich Bridge (Micro Layout done on a budget)

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

Nice!

Do I spy Half Man Half Biscuit there?

Andi

Correct! 

10 minutes ago, simon b said:

That looks great, what plans do you have for the end of the sidings next to it?

Likely to have a part low relief retaining wall and a low relief bridge going over the siding closest to the baseboard edge, with a closed gate to make it look like the entrance to a long disused industrial siding. Which is why it lacks a buffer stop. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 20:25, Russ (mines a pint) said:

What about raising it to correct ride height then putting other stuff round it? either more scrap or weedy overgrowth, in a manner that would suggest the chassis is still there but you cant see it? 

bd2a42e06aba5c97f3384503d55aa833.jpg

Reminds me of that photo of a sorry-looking HS4000 'Kestrel' similarly dumped in vegetation somewhere in Russia.......☹️

Cracking building, that's got real character. Fell like you want step inside and lose hours flicking through the racks. I claim Hunky Dory, Sgt Pepper (?) And King Crimson.  Only know KC as I have been thinking about trying some Fripp.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Not a huge amount of progress since the last time I posted, personal and work life keeps getting in the way. One thing I am cursing is deciding to scratchbuild as much as possible as I wanted the layout to look a particular way. Beginning to think just being able to plonk some buildings down must be nice!

Did some weathering for the first time with Tamiyas weathering powders, a real pleasure to use! Also added some I believe to be period appropriate graffiti after discussing with Dad, he lived in south east London around the time, he said he 'didn't remember the New York style graffiti appearing in any great numbers until the early to mid 90s.' Looking at Tim Browns 'The East End in Colour 1980 - 1990 seemed to back that up. Seeing as my layouts set from 1986 until early 90s-ish, I thought best to aim for earlier to give flexibility. Also to note I'm not a Millwall fan! I Thought the Millwall graffiti gives things a sense of location.

434418665_1183780049721822_873262993671857153_n.jpg

440551978_1634156524071709_5376930461092107607_n.jpg

Edited by klambert
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I've lived in South London all my life and I'm really struggling to remember when graffiti became so prevalent. Sadly I remember racist graffiti, but also things like the CND sign too. One thing I remember clearly is fly posters on any disused building; not sure they would have been placed on buildings lineside, but most highstreets of bombsites (and there were still a fair few around even in the eighties. 

I too have times when work and personal stuff gets in the way of my modelling and then of course there are also times when I can't be bothered as well.

Keep at it, it's looking good.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, klambert said:

Not a huge amount of progress since the last time I posted, personal and work life keeps getting in the way. One thing I am cursing is deciding to scratchbuild as much as possible as I wanted the layout to look a particular way. Beginning to think just being able to plonk some buildings down must be nice!

…. Snipped…

You never get the same satisfaction from r-t-p items but at times they definitely help.

Football graffiti definitely in by circa 1970. I remember a wall near Wimbledon with a very big slogan on it changing along with the fortunes of west London’s big teams.  FFC changing to SHED, that it was Shed not Chelsea another sign of the times. That had to be pre-summer 1972 as after that I wouldn’t have been going into Waterloo as I had moved to Yorkshire.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely remember kids at my high school looking at pics of graffiti both from the US and locally in the "New York" or block style. I was at that school in SW London from 1986 to 1990. Also I remember the main reasons for the tube stock being painted instead of aluminium was the rise block style graffiti and this refurbing started to happen in the 1980s.

A useful resource you may find is that almost every episode of "The Bill" which began in 1984 is now on Youtube so if you can check the production dates and find the right year, you'll get some good views of London in the era you need (bear in mind it was filmed in Wapping, then North Ken, and  ultimately in Colliers Wood so location fiming was often but not always local to those stoudios).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 19:03, klambert said:

Did some weathering for the first time with Tamiyas weathering powders, a real pleasure to use! Also added some I believe to be period appropriate graffiti after discussing with Dad, he lived in south east London around the time, he said he 'didn't remember the New York style graffiti appearing in any great numbers until the early to mid 90s.' Looking at Tim Browns 'The East End in Colour 1980 - 1990 seemed to back that up. Seeing as my layouts set from 1986 until early 90s-ish, I thought best to aim for earlier to give flexibility. Also to note I'm not a Millwall fan! I Thought the Millwall graffiti gives things a sense of location.

434418665_1183780049721822_873262993671857153_n.jpg

440551978_1634156524071709_5376930461092107607_n.jpg

The first New York hip hop style graffiti I can remember seeing in London was around the Westborne Park/North Notting Hill area circa 1985/86. Several things seem to have kick started it off - 1) Early electro/hip hop/rap was becoming popular on the UK club scene around then, 2) a book called Subway Art by Martha Cooper & Henry Chalfont was published in 1984 and was basically a picture book of New York hip hop graffiti and 3) around the same time a documentary called Style Wars was shown on TV about NY hip hop culture concentrating on graffiti. The book and the documentary I strongly suspect spread the style worldwide. It hasn't really changed in 40 years. I don't consciously recall seeing hip hop graffiti in S.E. London at the same time so you may be correct in not using it on your layout if set in the mid/late 80s. You could probably have a 'George Davis is Innocent' though. I can remember one or two large versions of this being visible from the lines out of London Bridge to S.E. London in the 80s.

Edited by Will Crompton
  • Informative/Useful 1