Mantlepiece microlayout in N6.5

I built this microlayout as a proof-of-principle for a later slightly larger layout based on a narrow gauge aluminium railway in the Scottish Highlands, loosely inspired by Kinlochleven. Track is Peco, but those VERY tight 180- degree curves are Rokuhan, both z gauge. Loco and wagon chassis are Rokuhan shorties (at the time very cheap) and the NG bodies are 3D printed. At the time I was using Shapeways for printing - my own printers came later when Shapeways rates (and especially shipping rates) became much more expensive.

The first image (a video if you click the arrow) shows the bare bones of the layout. The loco is based on one of the NG Thamshavnbahn locos from Norway, since preserved despite wartime sabotage.

The next photograph is probably my favourite view from the microlayout - I like to think that it mostly works considering that scale is 1:148 and gauge is 6.5mm. Here the steeplecab loco is printed, but the wagons are Rokuhan z gauge.

Steeplecab 7

A wider angle view of the layout on the mantlepiece, with 'clearances cottages' at the left and a ruined chapel on the right.

Mp2

And to show that it still runs with scenery, albeit before the chapel kirkyard was fully integrated into the scene.

Following the lessons learned from this project, I went on to build my 'Uisge' layout, but that is another, slightly larger story.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 hours ago, Dunalastair said:

I built this microlayout as a proof-of-principle for a later slightly larger layout based on a narrow gauge aluminium railway in the Scottish Highlands, loosely inspired by Kinlochleven. Track is Peco, but those VERY tight 180- degree curves are Rokuhan, both z gauge. Loco and wagon chassis are Rokuhan shorties (at the time very cheap) and the NG bodies are 3D printed. At the time I was using Shapeways for printing - my own printers came later when Shapeways rates (and especially shipping rates) became much more expensive.

The first image (a video if you click the arrow) shows the bare bones of the layout. The loco is based on one of the NG Thamshavnbahn locos from Norway, since preserved despite wartime sabotage.

The next photograph is probably my favourite view from the microlayout - I like to think that it mostly works considering that scale is 1:148 and gauge is 6.5mm. Here the steeplecab loco is printed, but the wagons are Rokuhan z gauge.

Steeplecab 7

A wider angle view of the layout on the mantlepiece, with 'clearances cottages' at the left and a ruined chapel on the right.

Mp2

And to show that it still runs with scenery, albeit before the chapel kirkyard was fully integrated into the scene.

Following the lessons learned from this project, I went on to build my 'Uisge' layout, but that is another, slightly larger story.

Very nice! I like the level of detail, perhaps surprising for a small scale, as well as the colouring of the scenery.

I also like the way you can’t really see the tight curves at the ends - it gives it a more realistic appearance without needing loads of extra non-scenic baseboard depth just to allow a continuous run. I did attempt to do something similar in 009 once but was probably slightly too ambitious, to the point where if I’d completed it the clearances for the end tunnels would have created problems.

• Like 1