GEM 00n3 Isle of Man no 11 "Maitland" loco instructions

I managed to find on eBay a near complete GEM 00n3 Isle of Man no 11 "Maitland" loco  less instructions and a coupling rod

Please can anyone help me out with a copy of the instructions please

The other thing is it comes with a whitemetal chassis which takes a Triang XT60 motor, I am a little concerned about the longevity of the chassis, any thoughts please

John

Branchlines produce a replacement etched chassis for the old Gem IOM 2-4-0T kit. You might consider one of those with a decent modern motor and gearbox.

Barry

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

I've got a spare XT60 if you want to keep it original.

roythebus1

Thank you very much for the offer, I have actually dug out an old one which has been upgraded with a 5 pole armature and a Romford worm gear, but   the one thing that concerns me is the longevity of the whitemetal chassis which has no brass bearings. Had brass bearings been used I might have had a go. 

Thanks again, now I just need a set of instructions

I would check the chassis is "Square"  i.e.  Whether the axle holes are at right angles to the long axis of the chassis and in line with the horizontal axis.    Just pop a wheel on an axle in the holes and see if the wheel hits squarely all round the hole and doesn't touch one side and leave a noticeable gap the other.  Also pop a couple of long rods 1/8" probably,  Knitting needles maybe, and check they are in line as you look end on.   They should also be in line with the top and bottom of the chassis.   If that's good I would use the White metal chassis.   If not opening out the axle holes off centre to take 1/8 bearings  might cure it.  Might need mesh adjusting, but it should run nicely.

A Brass chassis would be my next option.  Buy an etched kit for side frame templates, make some decent frames of thick brass, (Re sell the etches) use nice square section spacers make it square and solid it will run for years if its square and well meshed.  3rd option can you use a proprietary  chassis, re wheel and /or re drill the chassis to get the right wheelbase?   Usually the most reliable option.   

4th option, etched chassis.  Ideal for a static model. Very few work well and those need a lot of maintenance,   Its a cheap and nasty form of construction, akin to thick sheet plastic /Plasticard chassis (which is another left field option, just use BLACK plasticard so the paint doesn't flake off (Massive problem with etches and solid brass spacers screwed together).

Edited by DCB

1 hour ago, DCB said:

I would check the chassis is "Square"  i.e.  Whether the axle holes are at right angles to the long axis of the chassis and in line with the horizontal axis.    Just pop a wheel on an axle in the holes and see if the wheel hits squarely all round the hole and doesn't touch one side and leave a noticeable gap the other.  Also pop a couple of long rods 1/8" probably,  Knitting needles maybe, and check they are in line as you look end on.   They should also be in line with the top and bottom of the chassis.   If that's good I would use the White metal chassis.   If not opening out the axle holes off centre to take 1/8 bearings  might cure it.  Might need mesh adjusting, but it should run nicely.

A Brass chassis would be my next option.  Buy an etched kit for side frame templates, make some decent frames of thick brass, (Re sell the etches) use nice square section spacers make it square and solid it will run for years if its square and well meshed.  3rd option can you use a proprietary  chassis, re wheel and /or re drill the chassis to get the right wheelbase?   Usually the most reliable option.   

4th option, etched chassis.  Ideal for a static model. Very few work well and those need a lot of maintenance,   Its a cheap and nasty form of construction, akin to thick sheet plastic /Plasticard chassis (which is another left field option, just use BLACK plasticard so the paint doesn't flake off (Massive problem with etches and solid brass spacers screwed together).

DCB

Thank you for your input and we all have our favourite methods 

1530.jpeg.3524f127a2b54ffe346a5f9ce7ffd156.jpeg

As you can see there are no brass bearings and using it as is, in my opinion is asking for trouble. The reason for a U shaped axle hole is the gear wheel is pushfitted to the axle

1529.jpeg.77a741ff1f289af090f3a096dfbcfc7d.jpeg

Also the gap between the frames is very restrictive on motor mounts/gearboxes. As I said at worst I have an uprated 5 pole XT60, but do I want a model with a limited life expectancy ?

I could fit brass bearings and get them square as I have a Hobby Holidays chassis jig, therefore I could solder in brass bearings squarely matched to the coupling rods, but I still may have meshing issues in the way the chassis is designed

Using the older style brass bar type of chassis like the whitemetal reduces the option of using a gearbox/motor mount

With the amount of complaints on this site over the quality/longevity of modern RTR chassis I would rather cobble together a whitemetal chassis

I don't recognise the issues you state about etched chassis, in my experience its the opposite. I started replacing my K's brass bar chassis with Perseverance etched chassis years ago. As far as Branchlines chassis are concerned, I have built a few in 4mm scale and 0-16.5. They have been excellent

I need to have a chat with Branchlines, certainly I will buy an etched chassis. They sell a chassis completion pack as well as a body detailing pack. As with this kit I have a set of Romford wheels, I also have a selection of motors, its the gearbox details that is important to me, I have two or three working Branchlines gearboxes and they are on a par with High Level gearboxes

I do accept what you say about paint adhesion, but that goes with any type even plastic

Thanks for your input but with an etched chassis I have a decent chassis building jig

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Pierview alerting me to the Branchlines chassis

1568.jpeg.2f22e0ad677d1cd835880869f51c0730.jpeg

A Branchlines chassis has arrived, . The chassis is very good value at still £25 plus postage (as it was in 2018)

As it is I found the missing GEM coupling rod, so once I am happy with the chassis I will try and sell it

1569.jpeg.5fc4091c2e6c7e1b2b9dedb38c9062ab.jpeg

I asked for the gearbox they used for the motorising pack

• Like 2