Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend

Modelu Chris

22 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

I thought so, yes.  The most southerly shed at Sheffield Park wasn't being used on this occasion, nor the upstairs of Bessemer Arms.

So I found out to my disadvantage.

I arrived at Sheffield Park and had a quick look in the shed to discover the almost complete lack of use so decided to hop on the train in the platform to travel upto HK, only to see it pull out.

Absolutely nothing about this in the exhibition information. So I drove to HK and could not find a parking place near enough to the station from where I could manage the walk.

Went home p***** off.

Someone needs to get their act together. I know they are volunteers but the railway charge enough for a ticket.

If they did repeat layouts from last year, it's a pity as there are a lot of Model Railway Clubs around the Bluebell to source exhibits from.

Won't go again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

We went yesterday and had an enjoyable day out.

We have been exhibitors at the last three shows I think, but not sure if the same layouts as last year were there again. Operating a layout last year I did not really get a chance to have a good look around.

Yes the areas mentioned were not in use, and the platform nearest to the station building at HK was out of use as the platform surface is being substantially renewed and the building canopy and frontage restored. Also I think that there was less space used in the workshop at SP this year.

Nice to see progress on the Atlantic. I believe that they are hoping to have that is service sometime next year.

Hopefully the exhibition will back to normal next year, as we hope to take one of our larger layouts.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

I went on Saturday and I had a enjoyable day out, with two round trips on the railway. From my perspective, it was nice to meet and chat to some acquaintances that I have not seen for a few months. The layouts and traders were mostly based in one of the locomotive workshops at Sheffield Park and in the carriage workshop at Horsted Keynes, areas not normally opened to the public.

Layout wise at Sheffield Park there was just the OO Live Steam Club and a rather good N gauge layout Upperton from the Eastbourne club. Traders there included Invicta Model Rail, David Wills, Bachmann, Aspire Gifts & Models, Richard Panes Spares, and ModelU in the Bluebell Railway's Shop on the platform.

At Horsted Keynes, the traders were Barry Jones, A&N Rail Models, Andy Lynch, Colin Penn, Carriage & Wagon Models, Railroad Trading, 75D Railway Books, The Wagon Yard, On the Rails, and Heritage In Motion. Layout wise, there was the usual contingent from the West Sussex N Gauge Society, N gauge Crumbling Edge (by one of my fellow Erith MRS members), two layouts which won the trophies at my club's show back in January, Ballyconnell Road (Irish 3mm scale) and Somewhere in France (WW1-themed OO9), Plumpton Green (as pictured), and other small layouts in OO, TT and N.

It would not surprise me if the Bluebell might have had difficulties with getting different layouts to attend, had a few late drop outs, or they might not have known until recently what space they had to play with the workshops.

IMG_20230701_124235702.jpg

IMG_20230701_124244403.jpg

I took a bit of video of the show yesterday which is available to watch here: 

There did seem to be fewer layouts than I remember from previous years... I'd be surprised if Bluebell are having trouble getting layouts to attend though. I'm (mildly) involved with the exhibition at Spa Valley Railway over in Tunbridge Wells and our main issue seems to be finding enough space to put all the layouts that want to attend. I think we have close to 30 booked in for this year.

17 hours ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

I took a bit of video of the show yesterday which is available to watch here: 

There did seem to be fewer layouts than I remember from previous years... I'd be surprised if Bluebell are having trouble getting layouts to attend though. I'm (mildly) involved with the exhibition at Spa Valley Railway over in Tunbridge Wells and our main issue seems to be finding enough space to put all the layouts that want to attend. I think we have close to 30 booked in for this year.

We are exhibiting at the Spa Valley show this year and will have several layouts at Eridge.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1