Kent and Sussex model shop recommendations

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, next week we are having a railway week visiting the Bluebell, KESR, RHDR, Spa Valley. We are staying in Crawley.

Please can you give me any model shop recommendations within that area? 

Places we can pop into when going to one of the railways. 

Or indeed, model shops at the railways themselves.

Ian

Not so much at one of the railways, but I've found Train Times in Eastbourne to be well worth a visit (I usually pop in when I'm down south visiting), and if the weather's nice there's always a wee stroll along the beach and an ice cream too - they're only a couple of minutes' walk from the coast. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster in Ford. We are a bit thin on the ground for shops these days. Bluebell has a good selection of models. If you are down for the weekend it's the bluebell model railway weekend this weekend.

Langley miniatures is in Crawley but I've never got around to visiting ((or confirmed if you can). You're heading East from Crawley but a similar time West is the Mid-hants railway with Alton Model Centre which has always been good. Finally there is Squires down in Bognor.

Sorry they are all a bit spaced out!

• RMweb Premium

Classic Rail, Ticehurst

Compass Model Railways, Rotherfield

Train Times Model Shop, Eastbourne

Bluebell shop, Sheffield Park

Dorking Models, Dorking

Kernow Models, Guildford

Gaugemaster, Ford

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Not so much at one of the railways, but I've found Train Times in Eastbourne to be well worth a visit (I usually pop in when I'm down south visiting), and if the weather's nice there's always a wee stroll along the beach and an ice cream too - they're only a couple of minutes' walk from the coast. 

I can second this recommendation, and not just because I own the shop 😛

Gary

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

There is also the carriage shop at the Bluebell Railway (Horsted Keynes?) in an old Mk1 on the platform.  Usually has a good selection of classic second hand items and reasonable prices plus an amazing selection of books, magazines, etc.  You will need at least half an hour just to go through all the old books!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Ice cream? You can't go past Thayer's, only 2 minutes' walk from Train Time. The best ice cream in Eastbourne Sussex.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190722-d6714723-Reviews-Thayer_s_Real_Dairy_Ice_Cream-Eastbourne_East_Sussex_England.html

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can try the model shop in Woodchurch - near Tenterden and the KESR.  They don't have much RTR, but a really good for spares, accessories, scenic items and continental (esp French) RTR.  

Their opening hours are very limited now so I suggest you ring first to check they are open.

http://www.hmbaseboards.co.uk/

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

You can try the model shop in Woodchurch - near Tenterden and the KESR.  They don't have much RTR, but a really good for spares, accessories, scenic items and continental (esp French) RTR.  

Their opening hours are very limited now so I suggest you ring first to check they are open.

http://www.hmbaseboards.co.uk/

The shop is now closed as of the 30th June, I believe. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ice cream? You can't go past Thayer's, only 2 minutes' walk from Train Time. The best ice cream in Eastbourne Sussex.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190722-d6714723-Reviews-Thayer_s_Real_Dairy_Ice_Cream-Eastbourne_East_Sussex_England.html

Usual disclaimer.

I dunno, Fusciardi's (Now called Gelato Famoso Ice Cream Parlour after a change of ownership) on the seafront wins it for me, and only a 10 second walk from Thayer's. Maybe I'll have to try both again just to be sure 😛

Gary

PS. Model shop with 2 ice cream parlours within 2 minutes walk? Clearly Train Times has to be worth a visit for that alone 🤣 (Again I own the shop and may be slightly biased)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I dunno, Fusciardi's (Now called Gelato Famoso Ice Cream Parlour after a change of ownership) on the seafront wins it for me, and only a 10 second walk from Thayer's. Maybe I'll have to try both again just to be sure 😛

Gary

PS. Model shop with 2 ice cream parlours within 2 minutes walk? Clearly Train Times has to be worth a visit for that alone 🤣 (Again I own the shop and may be slightly biased)

It's a close call, Gary, but my vote stays with Thayer's. However, @Skinnylinny should probably try both!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cornelius said:

The shop is now closed as of the 30th June, I believe. 

Ah, I know Harry and Veronica were looking to finally retire. I haven't been there for a month or so. 

Thanks Cornelius for the update. 

Did AIMREC take there stock?  If they did, they can be found in Bethersden, about 4-5 miles from Woodchurch. 

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the Brighton Toy Museum under Brighton station. It has a mass of railway toys and models on display and when I last went, a few years ago I admit, they had a small selection of second-hand model railway items. They sometimes got donations which didn't fit or duplicated their displays and sold them off to increase their income. Whether that is still the case I don't know.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/512757

If you were to head down Queens Road to the shops and sea, at 36 there is Coastal Stamp Auctions, which in addition to stamps, has assorted diecasts and 'collectibles' and some second-hand model/toy railway rolling stock. That is usually a very mixed bag of old Triang, Hornby, Lima and suchlike, but occasionally a little gem turns up. Always worth a quick look if passing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2