Narrow gauge GEM Isle of Man 2-4-0T Maitland + Branchlines chassis and Branchlines Caledonia kit

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

However, on my garden railway.....hmm.

P1180263.JPG.6b4782988f46f72177b3acf431a4903f.JPG

Very nice. BR lined black does suit that loco rather well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

To be a little contrary I rather like this in blue....but it is Scottish!

cale.jpg.661c19bab51851ac23f292e2187d00e0.jpg

Most Scottish locomotives were not blue they were green!  Various shades I admit but green.

11 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

7mm Narrow Gauge Association book of drawings number 10 features four IoM loco drawings - locos 1-3,  4-6,  7-9,  10-13  and I wonder if these give sufficient detail for you - of course being a resident there I'm sure @New Haven Neil can provide more photos and drawings.

https://7mmnga.org.uk/7mmNarrowGaugeSalesLtd/publications/publication_details.php?ref=NLE10

Mike

I found my copy of the 7mm NGA plans book with them in, thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Moxy said:

Very nice. BR lined black does suit that loco rather well.

Cheers - the emblem does have a local twist to it!  Custom made by The Decal Man, Chris Moxham.  Paint job by me.

P1180242.JPG.3f4cc7cb979553e3c5f7ac10e4555b10.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Mike

I found my copy of the 7mm NGA plans book with them in, thanks

Thanks for letting me know - saves me going into the loft to find the book so I could copy it for you . . . 🙂

I now have bought another IOMR loco off eBay, namely a Branchlines part built Dubbs & Co Caledonia loco, the chassis has been started but for some reason the builder has used plain coach disc wheels with 2mm axles.  As for Maitland I am considering buying the motorization pack, but in two minds whether to use Markit or Gibson wheels, plus a GEM instruction sheet has been offered so I will wait to see what it says about the 2 versions which can be built from the kit

So next up is to rebuild Caledonia's chassis, waiting for the wheels will allow me to study the instructions 

• Like 2

• hayfield changed the title to Narrow gauge GEM Isle of Man 2-4-0T Maitland + Branchlines chassis and Branchlines Caledonia kit

I thought I would share what you get with the kit, though as I said for some reason the previous builder changed both the wheels and gearbox

1577.jpeg.df7e3549e230d5af2141747044eb33b8.jpeg

The box the kit comes in

1578.jpeg.deb0a0267c8deb3f74a94c72f3660671.jpeg

The soft whitemetal castings look to be well cast

1579.jpeg.c415511151f585776bc21f4fe6c37e5a.jpeg

High castings which even some modern kits fail to match

1580.jpeg.a3fe9a75b084eab1a9726a75ccc3c2ba.jpeg

Most of the etchings which have been removed from the frets

The part built chassis and footplate along with other chassis parts required for motorization

Now to deconstruct the chassis and read the instructions until I am familiar with them

1581.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/07/2023 at 11:48, hayfield said:

I have been interested in narrow gauge railways for years and collected the odd items, including several items of GEM IOM rolling stock

An eBay find of 3 locos included a GEM Isle of Man 2-4-0T Maitland loco kit complete except for a motor

1566.jpeg.6ebc3c9023106e4e0adb5f0e94943be2.jpeg

eBay had a reduced fee offer two weekends ago, so I decided to try and sell the two locos that came with Manning

The lot cost me £60.10 including postage for all 3, the other two locos are quite common and body only kits, how much I would have been willing to pay for Manning if it was on its own, especially as it had a chassis and wheels I can't be sure but certainly at least £30 plus postage

Well the two other locos sold for £45 which I was happy with which after charges netted to £43.66, leaving me with a net cost of £16.44. I am well pleased with the find especially as it was an accidental find.  After seeing the Dodds & Co kit I also decided to buy the motorising kit, If I am going to build the etched chassis its seems stupid to skimp on the motor & wheels and it allows me to sell on the old chassis complete except motor

• Like 1