Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 93 arrives at Worksop Yards.

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

On Saturday last, by Road. Just been told by a friend who happened to see it. 

I didn't even know they existed!

Phil

By road from Royal Portbury Dock

cheers

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Shame there isn't a railway line between Bristol and Worksop!

Mike.

A friend of mine went down to Portbury and photographed it coming out of the dock gates.

We were discussing the class 93s at last nights railway society meeting. He thinks the other members

of the class will also come through Portbury. Perhaps once the first one has been assessed and accepted

the others might be able to travel by rail on arrival?

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Rivercider said:

A friend of mine went down to Portbury and photographed it coming out of the dock gates.

We were discussing the class 93s at last nights railway society meeting. He thinks the other members

of the class will also come through Portbury. Perhaps once the first one has been assessed and accepted

the others might be able to travel by rail on arrival?

cheers 

As you have realised my comment was tongue in cheek, I understand there isn't enough slack built into the current rail system to allow such things like this to happen, although I hope your theory comes to fruition.

In the good old days, if it couldn't make the journey in one hit, it would have depot hopped until final arrival, but stopping at Bath Road, Horton Road, Saltley, Tinsley etc would be a tad difficult nowadays!

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

If this has been discussed elsewhere, apologies, but  I'd appreciate a link. If not I'd appreciate any info as I know nothing.

Phil

RevolutioN  have announced a model so there is discussion on that thread

• Thanks 1

What's at Worksop that would interest an electric loco?

I don't think Worksop ever had a depot, although locos did stable there over weekends during the 70's.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I believe there is a Firm there now that has dealt with/deals with various things such as withdrawn 225 Stock etc. and some time ago they stored New Bog Carts there for EMT before they were introduced.

This Loco is Tri mode so don't need OHL! If required, Retford and OHL is just ten minutes away.

Anyway I think it is just a decent place for Holding this Engine for examinations etc...BUT I don't know and I'm not that bothered really as I have not enough interest in modern stuff to go rushing over there to look.

I shall look at the links kindly supplied. I've just seen it has Batteries as the 3rd Mode. That's interesting; to me anyway.

All I know about it is from a Wikipedia page, so take with a pinch of salt, but it seems like the batteries are there to boost the diesel output (as well as operate on battery power alone?), giving it a bit more off-the-wires grunt than an 88.  They won't last long on their own but seem to be more to help get the train moving and up to speed.

Seems like quite an interesting loco.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

I don't think Worksop ever had a depot, although locos did stable there over weekends during the 70's.

Worksop had a Signing On facility from the mid 60s and we used to call in there in the 70s and 80s on Shed bashes. As the Coal Services decreased then it lost it's Shunters. 

There was a Wagon Repair outfit there some time back but that's long gone AFAIK. 

I believe there is a Firm there now that has dealt with/deals with various things such as withdrawn 225 Stock etc. and some time ago they stored New Bog Carts there for EMT before they were introduced.

This Loco is Tri mode so don't need OHL! If required, Retford and OHL is just ten minutes away.

Anyway I think it is just a decent place for Holding this Engine for examinations etc...BUT I don't know and I'm not that bothered really as I have not enough interest in modern stuff to go rushing over there to look.

I shall look at the links kindly supplied. I've just seen it has Batteries as the 3rd Mode. That's interesting; to me anyway.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, JeffP said:

Harry Needle Railroad Company depot is at Worksop and also Barrow Hill Possibly there for initial checking. It has self-power (battery + diesel) so doesn't necessarily need OLE.

https://twitter.com/Platform5Rail/status/1673960809758707713

David

Edited by DavidLong
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

Harry Needle Railroad Company depot is at Worksop and also Barrow Hill Possibly there for initial checking. It has self-power (battery + diesel) so doesn't necessarily need OLE.

https://twitter.com/Platform5Rail/status/1673960809758707713

David

Oh it his HN Co. Thanks D. I must also revisit Barrow Hill as I haven't been there for a decade!

Phil

• Like 1