Angerstein Wharf - Trowse (Norwich) via Eccles Road (and other places)

• RMweb Gold

Tuesday 04/07/2023 saw an unusual working to Trowse (Norwich) - DBC workings to Trowse have dropped to very, very, very few since a change of ownership of the unloading point meant Mountsorrel was no longer a favoured source for the stone, Tunstead becoming the favourite and Freightliner work most trains out of Tunstead but I digress -  the stone was from Angerstein Wharf  (near the Blackwall Tunnel in London) and it was routed via Clapham Jcn, Acton Wells, Dudding Hill then up the MML to Leicester (via Corby) where the train reversed and retraced it's steps to Manton Jcn but this time taking the Peterborough line, it continued on a more conventional route via Ely to Trowse.

Eccles Road
04/07/2023 (Tuesday)
66080 on 6Z39, 22:28, Angerstein Wharf (Tarmac) - Trowse Yard Redland Siding (07:36) - loaded stone (19 JNA)

image.png.0f4004fc75abff4f203db6307b65c684.png

The return once again followed the conventional route to Leicester (via Peterborough) where it then headed South down the MML to Dudding Hill , off to Acton Wells and Clapham Jcn and eventually terminated at Hither Green

66080 on 6Z43, 14:09, Trowse Yard Redland Siding - Hither Green Down RECP. (20:44) - empty stone (19 JNA)

image.png.1404370153ffdb387b13373a04a443ac.png

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Tuesday 04/07/2023 saw an unusual working to Trowse (Norwich) - DBC workings to Trowse have dropped to very, very, very few since a change of ownership of the unloading point meant Mountsorrel was no longer a favoured source for the stone, Tunstead becoming the favourite and Freightliner work most trains out of Tunstead but I digress -  the stone was from Angerstein Wharf  (near the Blackwall Tunnel in London) and it was routed via Clapham Jcn, Acton Wells, Dudding Hill then up the MML to Leicester (via Corby) where the train reversed and retraced it's steps to Manton Jcn but this time taking the Peterborough line, it continued on a more conventional route via Ely to Trowse.

Eccles Road
04/07/2023 (Tuesday)
66080 on 6Z39, 22:28, Angerstein Wharf (Tarmac) - Trowse Yard Redland Siding (07:36) - loaded stone (19 JNA)

image.png.0f4004fc75abff4f203db6307b65c684.png

The return once again followed the conventional route to Leicester (via Peterborough) where it then headed South down the MML to Dudding Hill , off to Acton Wells and Clapham Jcn and eventually terminated at Hither Green

66080 on 6Z43, 14:09, Trowse Yard Redland Siding - Hither Green Down RECP. (20:44) - empty stone (19 JNA)

image.png.1404370153ffdb387b13373a04a443ac.png

Tarmac at Angerstein Wharf usually despatch sea dredged aggregate which I would have thought could be much easier to supplied to Norwich via the nearer East Coast ports.  I wonder if there is a large construction project underway that requires additional supplies from farther afield.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SED Freightman said:

Tarmac at Angerstein Wharf usually despatch sea dredged aggregate which I would have thought could be much easier to supplied to Norwich via the nearer East Coast ports.  I wonder if there is a large construction project underway that requires additional supplies from farther afield.

Somethings going on, Norwich has received many thousands of tons over the last few weeks, just wish the loaded trains weren't so early !

It's probably partially for the A11 and partially for new roads in association with new housing estates, there's also a new harbour crossing at Lowestoft and all that entails - either way it means around 7 stone trains per week at the moment to Trowse and Norwich alone

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, SED Freightman said:

Maybe they don't want to tie up the dredgers with a longer run at sea, and don't have loading facilities for transhipment to another ship (i.e. only ship unloading facilities) at Angerstein? Only a theory.

• Like 3

• beast66606 changed the title to Angerstein Wharf - Trowse (Norwich) via Eccles Road (and other places)
  • RMweb Gold

I've edited the topic title to remove the one-off reference as it's run again.

Eccles Road
04/07/2023 (Tuesday)

image.png.602103006eddd889746b8d03da5203d4.png

The return was a bit more interesting than the previous working

66170 on 6Z43, 14:09, Trowse Yard Redland Siding - Hither Green Down RECP. (20:43) - empty stone (18 JNA), only approx. 3 wagons unloaded, rest still full

For reasons unknown most of the train was not unloaded - as can be seen by the stone visible in the wagons.

image.png.5ea196d22d0a5f28f3691aee158c19f2.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2023 at 18:38, SED Freightman said:

Depends ver much on the grade of material required.  And is Angerstein Wharf solely handling sea dredged aggregate or is it receiving stone from elsewhere by sea?

Also yto what extent do East Coasy ports south of Immingjam have access to rail loading facilities?  the only one I can think of between theh Thames estuary and Immingham is Felixstowe and I don't know how easy it is there  to transfer material from a dregder to rail wagons.

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Depends ver much on the grade of material required.  And is Angerstein Wharf solely handling sea dredged aggregate or is it receiving stone from elsewhere by sea?

Also yto what extent do East Coasy ports south of Immingjam have access to rail loading facilities?  the only one I can think of between theh Thames estuary and Immingham is Felixstowe and I don't know how easy it is there  to transfer material from a dregder to rail wagons.

Isn't there a rail-connected aggregates facility at Ipswich on the River Orwell? 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Agreed that grade and tonnage of material required could determine the origin particularly as both terminals are operated by Tarmac (CRH). However the terminal at Angerstein is set up to handle marine aggregate, although I guess the wharf could handle other aggregate / stone if necessary.  Which brings me back to the question of why rail from S London when there are no doubt plenty of nearer ports that handle sea dredged aggregate, although most would involve road delivery to Norwich but would possibly be cheaper per tonne delivered.

It would be interesting to have confirmation of the actual product being conveyed, unfortunately it is not possible to determine this from beast66606's photo of 6Z43.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, SED Freightman said:

It would be interesting to have confirmation of the actual product being conveyed, unfortunately it is not possible to determine this from beast66606's photo of 6Z43.

If it runs again I'm intending going to an overbridge to photograph the train and get shots of the load

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

Agreed that grade and tonnage of material required could determine the origin particularly as both terminals are operated by Tarmac (CRH). However the terminal at Angerstein is set up to handle marine aggregate, although I guess the wharf could handle other aggregate / stone if necessary.  Which brings me back to the question of why rail from S London when there are no doubt plenty of nearer ports that handle sea dredged aggregate, although most would involve road delivery to Norwich but would possibly be cheaper per tonne delivered.

The type of aggregate is undoubtedly a decider particularly if it is going into road building and the ability to supply quantity might also play a part as well as price.  Compared with Angerstein Wharf Brett's facility at Ipswich is much smaller and with a single, shorter, siding plus any train out of there for Eccles Road is going to have to follow an awkward  route in any case.  I suspect Angerstein Wharf offered the better deal all round