RMweb

Steam loco cylinders - more is better

18 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

I believe - and Mark you should know, it was fairly common on some diesels to be able to use one cylinder as a compressor for starting air

The Lister is the only one I've ever seen, John.  But that's not to say that there haven't been others. From memory these Listers were often found on ships at one time, as the first step in starting up from total "dead ship" conditions. And why not? I've seen Lister engines in small boats that had sunk at their moorings simply drained down after the boat was raised, fresh oil & diesel added & then cranked up. Away they'd go. A bit like the long-lamented Seagull outboard engines. Pretty much indestructable.

mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, MarkC said:

The Lister is the only one I've ever seen, John.  But that's not to say that there haven't been others. From memory these Listers were often found on ships at one time, as the first step in starting up from total "dead ship" conditions. And why not? I've seen Lister engines in small boats that had sunk at their moorings simply drained down after the boat was raised, fresh oil & diesel added & then cranked up. Away they'd go. A bit like the long-lamented Seagull outboard engines. Pretty much indestructable.

mark

On the 1965 Ben My Cree there was a single pot Lister driving a compressor in the engine room

To start from cold

1. Take starting handle and start compressor

2. When air reservoir is full, about 45 mins start one of the Ruston dynamo's

3. After about 45 mins it will be warmed through, so put 'on the board'

4. Light Spanner donkey boiler 

5. When you have pressure in the boiler blow steam through tracing and oil heaters to clear fuel system

6. At about this time you need to have arranged a delivery of fresh - ie liquid fuel

7. Start cyclic firing of main boilers (2x Foster Wheeler D Type)

8. About a day later you are ready to go, Douglas here we come

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

On the 1965 Ben My Cree there was a single pot Lister driving a compressor in the engine room

To start from cold

1. Take starting handle and start compressor

2. When air reservoir is full, about 45 mins start one of the Ruston dynamo's

3. After about 45 mins it will be warmed through, so put 'on the board'

4. Light Spanner donkey boiler 

5. When you have pressure in the boiler blow steam through tracing and oil heaters to clear fuel system

6. At about this time you need to have arranged a delivery of fresh - ie liquid fuel

7. Start cyclic firing of main boilers (2x Foster Wheeler D Type)

8. About a day later you are ready to go, Douglas here we come

That sounds about right for a steamer - motor ships are (usually) a bit quicker - no chuffin' big boilers to warm through VERY carefully...

Oh, the joys...

Mark

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

That sounds about right for a steamer - motor ships are (usually) a bit quicker - no chuffin' big boilers to warm through VERY carefully...

Oh, the joys...

Mark

Yes its when the owner says 'I hope you were gentle on the Starboard Furnace, its got a mark on it and we dont know if its a tooling mark or a crack'

'Oh, thanks so I could have shared the stokehold with 45 tons of boiling water forced out by 180psi of pressure, thanks Oz...'

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

Yes its when the owner says 'I hope you were gentle on the Starboard Furnace, its got a mark on it and we dont know if its a tooling mark or a crack'

'Oh, thanks so I could have shared the stokehold with 45 tons of boiling water forced out by 180psi of pressure, thanks Oz...'

Mmm, if anyone's in doubt as to what can go wrong with abused marine boilers then here's some scary reading...

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAB0703.pdf

I'm sure I've posted this link before, but still...

And there was more monkey business later...

http://ssmaritime.com/norway-NTSB-report.htm

This is some serious thread drift!

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mmm, if anyone's in doubt as to what can go wrong with abused marine boilers then here's some scary reading...

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAB0703.pdf

I'm sure I've posted this link before, but still...

And there was more monkey business later...

http://ssmaritime.com/norway-NTSB-report.htm

This is some serious thread drift!

Mark

Don't read US Boiler accident reports, just don't

Clearly a nation that no longer has any idea how to do steam, as indeed it seems do the Norwegians either

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Don't read US Boiler accident reports, just don't

Clearly a nation that no longer has any idea how to do steam, as indeed it seems do the Norwegians either

They very definitely got it - well just about everything - wrong with the Norway.   The amazing thing is that it took so long to lead to a catastrophic failure with a boiler management approach which was that lackadaisical and ignorant.  I wonder how many of the engineers even had Steam tickets?.

As an aside  one of the chaps working in Lloyd's Register's Sydney office when I was over there had a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Boiler Inspector's qualification and I think he was the only person in the company there who held any sort of steam qualification or experience. The boilers weren't included when another Surveyor from the office carried out a Class compliance check on QE2 - and refused to let it sail until certain matters were rectified and he re-inspected her.  Alas I was busy with what I was supposed to be doing so had to turn down his invitation to go along with him on his initial visit - from what he said he'd found that would have been very interesting.

By very tenuous connection with the Norway  I was part of a group which had a conducted in port tour of SS France when she was alongside in Southampton c.1970

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I think that report was pretty damming. The thermal cycling was pretty horrendous, and the lack of proper water treatment, especially when shutdown, was also pretty grim.

For me it was the suggestion that someone might have been depositing copper to hide the cracks that was the most worrying.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

Having a big interest in marine engineering, I do find all this very interesting, but wonder how we moved from locomotive cylinders to marine water-tube boilers?

The tide took us that way................

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

For me it was the suggestion that someone might have been depositing copper to hide the cracks that was the most worrying.

You just can't understand the mentality of anyone who would take short cuts and/or not follow approved repair procedures when dealing with boilers, & especially those working at such high pressures. The sliding foot issue was also a big one - obviously nobody considered the risks involved if the boiler couldn't expand properly.

Mark

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MarkC said:

You just can't understand the mentality of anyone who would take short cuts and/or not follow approved repair procedures when dealing with boilers, & especially those working at such high pressures. The sliding foot issue was also a big one - obviously nobody considered the risks involved if the boiler couldn't expand properly.

Mark

I job I used to get lumbered with, because I could get into the boiler wings, where there's not enough room to swing a mouse, let alone a cat. We could never undo the nuts and bolts and always had to get the burning gear out. The replacements had to be specially made, due to having a UNS thread. The boss, made us try and undo them for a week before relenting. Then there was the job of trying to get a jack in to lift the drum or header, to get the slipper plate out and clean it. There used to be a brown underpants moment when the jack broke the friction and the foot moved, cos it went with a big crack, we were expecting it, but all the others in the boileroom weren't, the panic gave us a good laugh.

Sorry for the continued thread drift.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mark

The pioneers had an excuse for dodgy practices - no one knew much better! A learning curve.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

The pioneers had an excuse for dodgy practices - no one knew much better! A learning curve.

Absolutely - and as we know, it usually takes the spilling of blood, or worse, to get rules & regulations in place to try & avoid repetitions - but there's no excuse in modern times for disregarding basic safety practices & techniques...

Mark

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Absolutely - and as we know, it usually takes the spilling of blood, or worse, to get rules & regulations in place to try & avoid repetitions - but there's no excuse in modern times for disregarding basic safety practices & techniques...

Mark

Back in the days (on the mainline railway) of steam heated trains there was a laid down procedure to be followed when attaching an engine to a train and turning on the steam and, even more importantly when uncoupling to detach an engine.   Just a matter of doing things in the right order and very logical so easy to remember but those who got it wrong could get something far worse than a splash of hot water down their trouser legs.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Back in the days (on the mainline railway) of steam heated trains there was a laid down procedure to be followed when attaching an engine to a train and turning on the steam and, even more importantly when uncoupling to detach an engine.   Just a matter of doing things in the right order and very logical so easy to remember but those who got it wrong could get something far worse than a splash of hot water down their trouser legs.

Absolutely - and that was <only> low pressure, saturated steam.

My present ship has steam heating, albeit only some 7 bar pressure - to me it's a step backwards. Give me thermal oil for heating purposes any time...

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Mark

Mr Lloyd, the WR Guard's Inspector who passed me out on Rules & Regs, stated he was happy with my performance and to let me loose on the railway, but to 'always remember, lad, that every one of these rules was found lying at the bottom of a bucket of blood', which in the early days it was.  And I always did remember.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Mr Lloyd, the WR Guard's Inspector who passed me out on Rules & Regs, stated he was happy with my performance and to let me loose on the railway, but to 'always remember, lad, that every one of these rules was found lying at the bottom of a bucket of blood', which in the early days it was.  And I always did remember.

That is a very good way of putting it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

Forgive me for further thread drift, but I read the report through-am I right in thinking that someone actually noticed cracks in the water drum, and literally hammered some soft copper pipe in there?

29 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Forgive me for further thread drift, but I read the report through-am I right in thinking that someone actually noticed cracks in the water drum, and literally hammered some soft copper pipe in there?

That or they attempted to seal the crack by brazing...

...the thought of either of those possibilities scares the **** out of me...

Mark

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1