expoEM Summer 2023

Leander

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Suddaby said:

I also didn't see that on the poster, but have spoken to Leander, the exhibition organiser, and he confirms free admission for accompanied children.

Useful to know, as I think I may be on the door!!

See you tomorrow, say hello when you come in.

Kevin

Thanks and will do 

Brian 

We're 75% set up this evening with the remaining stands set to arrive in the morning. Don't forget that we open to visitors at 10.30am.

If you're coming by car, please park in the 3G Car Park, on the right, across the road from the school. 

We hope to see many of you later today.

Visited this excellent show yesterday and very impressed with the quality of the layouts and demonstrators.

I tried on several occasions to speak to Pete Hill but understandably he was always engaged with other visitor’s to the show. I was intrigued by a scratch built single drive wheel loco he had on his display stand and would like to know if any other visitors to the show that may have seen this, can identify which of the pre grouping railways it was built by and perhaps which class of loco it was?

Thanks,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blue Max said:

Visited this excellent show yesterday and very impressed with the quality of the layouts and demonstrators.

I tried on several occasions to speak to Pete Hill but understandably he was always engaged with other visitor’s to the show. I was intrigued by a scratch built single drive wheel loco he had on his display stand and would like to know if any other visitors to the show that may have seen this, can identify which of the pre grouping railways it was built by and perhaps which class of loco it was?

Thanks,

Its a North Eastern class J. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As an EM 'newbie', this was my first visit to an expoEM, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great venue and a nice balance of layouts in terms of size and period modelled. I found the 'micro' layouts particularly inspirational.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've already commented on Wright Writes, but can I just say a big thank you again to all involved. Great show, excellent layouts, good trade support. Let's hope that the society is happy to continue putting this one on.

Mark

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 17:44, johndon said:

Might have just been me but when I was there on Saturday, it certainly felt busier than last year.

Thanks to all those who attended and for your positive comments, it makes all the hard work extremely worthwhile. I welcome ideas, comments and soggestions about how we can improve the 'northern' expo, either PM me on here, or email to exponorth@emgs.org.

On the subject of attendance which this year totalled 403, with considerably more non-members (264) than members (139) present, we were certainly well up on last year (250) but still a little below that attained at the first Kettlethorpe expo in 2019 (450) when it was held in September.

More photos and details of the Competition winners will follow later.

Edited by Leander
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

Many thanks to Peter Rigby for arranging the show: really good all round. Considering the show is in the middle of holiday time in August, then 400+ is a respectable number of attendees — I hope the EMGS is happy with that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 88D said:

Many thanks to Peter Rigby for arranging the show: really good all round. Considering the show is in the middle of holiday time in August, then 400+ is a respectable number of attendees — I hope the EMGS is happy with that.

We can, and will, do better.

• Like 3

The Trophies were awarded as follows:

Chairman’s Cup awarded to the Best Layout in the expo - Dewsbury GNR (P4). This was voted for by visitors to the expo.

expoSummerPhoto1.jpg.4c2b3375d902ec0044ccd1a4ed9664c2.jpg

EMGS Chairman Bill Wyatt-Millington presents the Chairman's Cup (Shield?) to Geoff Tiffany, flanked by co-builders Dave Carter (left) and Brian Eves (right).

The Abbey Trophy awarded to the layout operated in the most prototypical manner - Hope-under-Dinmore (EM) by the South Hants Model Railway Club

expoSummerPhoto2.jpg.b5d7e1f0653bd0003151185dbc622fe2.jpg

David Bridges receives the The Abbey Trophy from EMGS Chairman Bill Wyatt-Millington.

Malcolm Crawley Trophy - awarded for the best Scratchbuilt or Kitbuilt Locomotive to Pete Hill, for his scratchbuilt USATC S160 2-8-0 locomotive in EM gauge.

expoSummerPhoto3.jpg.030fa633a7030a5448de5a0100f5ae24.jpg

We have been asked to withold photographs of the painted and finished model pending an article in a forthcoming issue of Model Railway Journal. Pete (left) was placed first and second, we can however show his GWR County class 4-6-0 in EM gauge which was the runner-up.

PHCountyUSphoto1.jpg.e87b01f9715e3be132d4de306a4cb928.jpg

A special award this year went to Geoff Kent, Plasticard wizard. The trophy was created by EMGS member Ian Cross, of Derby.

expoSummer Photo 5.jpg

All photographs courtesy of Karl Crowther

Edited by Leander
  • Like 9