Heljan 26 Not Working

barker196

Help please. First im not sure if this is a DCC problem or not? 

I have Heljan 26010 which is a few years old but has seen little use. It's recently stopped moving. My railway is DCC and the Loco has a Lenz decoder. 

I assumed perhaps it's a faulty motor or something but there's something else strange about the Loco. The light function turns on and off through my controller but the light doesn't change direction if I choose forward or reverse. I plan to send it Olivias trains for assessment and repair but wondered if anyone has had similar or any suggestions before I post her away? Thankyou 🙏

20230714_194535.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I had a Heljan 27 with a similar problem.  Turned out that one of the resistors on the circuit board was kaput.  Tested each resistor individually with a meter and one was , IIRC, not letting any juice through.  The kind chap who suggested that could be the problem even sent me a replacement resistor.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, peterm1 said:

...a CV8 reset (write 8 into CV8).

Worth remembering that this is always the first port of call when a decoder malfunctions. Also to remember:  if the reset is successful, the address will return to the 03 factory setting, so re-entering the address you want to use will be necessary.

If the loco still malfunctions after a successful reset, then pursue the other suggestions.

• Like 2

Fixed thankyou for the suggestions. I reinstalled it in a different slot on my controller so effectively reset the decoder I guess. Same as a CV8 reset by sound of it. Anyway she's been out of service for about 6 months but is back on the main line thanks guys 🙏

20230715_173407.jpg

Edited by barker196

The only way to reset a decoder is by resetting the decoder. I don't know what command station you have to say that you changed the slot, though it sounds like a Loconet based system and, if so, changing the slot does not reset, or change anything on the decoder.

• Like 1