A basic Lima 47 project...

Been digging out some older Lima 47s and DCC sound fitting and the usual extra pickups. But also want to add details. 

PXL_20230718_193809313.jpg.c5cd46d825f0856abe049ed50759b155.jpg

Radio antenna, oleo black buffers, (can't think of the term but) the textured door kickplate, wipers (already have flushed glaze ready)

The etched footplates lamp irons and nameplates,nums etc I have had no problems but the rest seems to be defeating me.

Edited by Ighten

• RMweb Premium

Shawplan do the radio antennae and wipers if that helps! www.shawplan.com. I don't know about the etched kickplate but in this scale I've never gone wrong by just handpainting silver and weathering - looks the part!

For the underframe tank, the old Lima moulding can be carved away and replaced by a twin-tank spare part from Bachmann, either sourced via their Spares department or just on eBay, normally only a few pounds but it'll make a big difference and easier than hacking the flexible old Italian plastic into shape.

Finally my top tip for the roof radio aerial itself, my preference is to use an old toothbrush hair, superglued into a small hole and painted dark grey, the flexibility means it can never be knocked off!

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I thought I better pit some updates... First run out of the box was surprisingly smooth (if a little noisy) and also coped fine with peco finescale

So a full strip down of the dry motor and it now runs as silky smooth as possible and a lot quiter. In the mean time the following has happened. Etches attached - flush glazing in place and sockets ready to go in for DCC conversion.

PXL_20230721_092700721.jpg

PXL_20230719_151752993.jpg

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 2

• Ighten changed the title to A basic Lima 47 project...

PXL_20230722_211512306.jpg.d3b355ae2dfbc0a5927a7d0e932e394c.jpg

Hasn't stopped raining for what feels like a week so the etches have gone on. Which isn't very noticeable in a still picture but makes a world of difference when light catches them in movement.

I am doing things in the wrong order. The flush glazing is now in but I will only concentrate on chassis and bogies for light brake dust weathering. The roof does need a repaint though.

PXL_20230724_092028279.jpg.274afa28620b7ea2c4cdb539b8988908.jpg

Nothing spectacular re the cab.. I just threw some bits together to give the impression of a back wall and engine room door.

Currently looking for best source of buffer beam detail and how to improve the Lima warning yellow front which is always an issue on these.

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Markits do Oleo buffers which I’ve used on my Lima 47 builds.

https://www.hamodels.net/romford-oleo-buffers-black.html 
they certainly are a big improvement on the Lima offerings but are not sprung.

edit -  I’ve used the Bachmann spares class 47 tanks too, another big improvement 

Neil 

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann sell a set of 4 sprung buffers and air pipes as a spares pack E3165-253-05 for £5. There are similar sets on offer from them as well.

Patrick

Edited by NFWEM57
typo

On 24/07/2023 at 17:39, slilley said:

This might help you a little.

Simon

P1060004.JPG

Think I need to rethink the grey on the buffers from my attempt.. The close ups also reveal a multitude of missed burrs and highlight just how scale over thick they are.

PXL_20230727_102037618.jpg.655a5be2e00198ff496eeffb794dd581.jpg

Tension couplings are still to come off yet.. don't think I'll put Kadees on this as it's unlikely to run with stock. So just  full buffer bar detailing.

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ighten said:

Think I need to rethink the grey on the buffers from my attempt.. The close ups also reveal a multitude of missed burrs and highlight just how scale over thick they are.

PXL_20230727_102037618.jpg.655a5be2e00198ff496eeffb794dd581.jpg

Tension couplings are still to come off yet.. don't think I'll put Kadees on this as it's unlikely to run with stock. So just  full buffer bar detailing.

Also if you are going to be completely accurate, the buffer beam cowl will need to be removed.

Simon

10 hours ago, slilley said:

Also if you are going to be completely accurate, the buffer beam cowl will need to be removed.

Simon

Hmmm. Looking at this pic now with the buffers and a start made on removing the Lima tension couplings I see your point. But it may be beyond the scope of this project.

PXL_20230728_185400205.jpg.e52ff24c60f27e1b4497fd3608d24f0c.jpg

still at least I got the door handles painted 💪😉. I'm now a bit annoyed I didn't strip the front two numbers and Crewe cats. I think my plan to flood in a paint match just won't work. So  to stay positive I put the 8pin socket in and made her DCC ready.

PXL_20230728_180259311.jpg.0819ce3842cfece6981190a7b238b0a1.jpg

I will shorten off every wire later but I wanted to make sure everything was running. Also building up a little isolated board for the socket to sit on.

Edited by Ighten
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see someone improving an older model, they can still look pretty good for their age. If removing the buffer beam cowl is too much, I suspect painting the 'lip' at the top black rather than yellow might at least go some way to making it less obvious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 4 months later...