Rivelin Tunnel Diorama

Narrow gauge overhead electric railways were not common in the UK, and I think that I have probably modelled most where information is available. One relatively obscure line was built in association with waterworks in the Peak, not the dams as such but the water pipes connecting supply to consumer. Those involved much tunnelling, in this case through the Rivelin between Ladybower and Sheffield

41EC4CA6-185C-4B9D-8ECE-958AFC6E6538.jpe

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/7453-the-rivelin-tunnel/#comments

Map at http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_06_2007/post-28-1181736506.jpg

ECC was an early builder of electric locos, so my 3D printed model had to include the bolted on lettering.

qQa8Rkn.jpg

My broad-brush diorama is mildly forced-perspective, possibly my first venture into that game.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Found my copy of IRS Record with an article by Bob Darvill describing the Electric Construction Company locos (there were apparently two, one at either end of the tunnel), with another image of the Rivelin end of the tunnel - this time of the NG works yard, with a splay of sidings and buildings. Looks modellable, albeit an eclectic choice for most.

It is possible that these locos were re-used in a later tunnel contract at Ewden, completed in 1929. 

Reference is number 197 from June 2009.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, dave75 said:

Alastair have you seen the image on picturesheffield.com of Ughill Clay mine that looks to be using the same system.

I can't post it as it copyright to Sheffield newspapers.

Would make a interesting scene

Interesting images thankyou, but from a search for 'Ughill Clay' on that site, or indeed on Google, I could not see an overhead electric loco - or were you just thinking of the tunnel portal? Did you have a specific photograph reference number in mind? It reminded me of my 'footrail' diorama, also described in this section.

Just thinking about the portal, I don't know if it's the camera angle but the road appears to be following the contours down the hill contrasting with the railway climbing quite steeply.  It looks to have two wire catenary in a "Rivelin" style but there's also a rope between the tracks that might suggest haulage by a stationary engine.