Alternative to Canon G7X?

St. Simon

Hi,

Ive been looking for a new Camera, mainly for model photography, but also general use and I had been pointed by a couple of people towards the Canon G7X Mark II. However, you can’t get them for love nor money. I suppose I could find a second hand one, but I much prefer new when buying this like that.

So, what the alternatives?

I would like a high quality high performance camera, preferably compact, that has manual aperature, shutter speed etc controls, is good at model photography with good macro settings etc and has a videography mode.

I’m afraid I’m not very good at knowing what makes a good camera, so I need some guidance!

Simon

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

However, you can’t get them for love nor money.

Probably because the current model is the G7x Mk3 Simon.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G7-X-Mark-III-vs-Canon-PowerShot-G5-X-Mark-II

After a bit if deliberation I went for the G5x 2

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Probably because the current model is the G7x Mk3 Simon.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G7-X-Mark-III-vs-Canon-PowerShot-G5-X-Mark-II

After a bit if deliberation I went for the G5x 2

Hi Andy,

I saw there was a MK3, but I wasn’t sure whether that was better, I know that sometimes that the newer versions can be worse!

Annoyingly the G5X 2 seems to be equally scarce as the G7X!

Simon

• Moderators

I've got a plain G5X (presumably Mk1), which is nice when I can't be bothered carting a DSLR around, but want more flexibility than the phone. Problem is, I find it rather prone to flare. Don't know if thats a general problem or I just got a poor sample.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi Andy,

I saw there was a MK3, but I wasn’t sure whether that was better, I know that sometimes that the newer versions can be worse!

Annoyingly the G5X 2 seems to be equally scarce as the G7X!

Simon

I have used G12s in the past and now use the G7x Mk2 [edit correction] which is excellent, with auto focus bracketing (stacking) and the Canon own software provided is excellent for processing focus stacking.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I'm still happy with my G12 😉

Still going strong (No.7) here but the G5x Mk2 is for Sunday best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have used G12s in the past and now use the G7x Mk3 which is excellent, with auto focus bracketing (stacking) and the Canon own software provided is excellent for processing focus stacking.

I thought you said the MK2! 😂

Simon

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

An alternative to the Canon G7X iii is the Sony RX100 vii, although it seems to be a step up in price. Another alternative might be something like the Sony A6400, at the moment it looks like you can pick it up with the 16-50 kit lens for not much more than the G7X, it's not that much bigger and you do have the flexibility of individual lenses.