Making 1:76 model cars less toy like.

• RMweb Gold

I think the problem is the panel lines are so big in OO diecasting that it’s already too noticeable if you’re going to look at scale look so darkening it further just increases it into the ‘games workshop’ painting style which looks cool but is very stylised. 
These models are larger scale but look real, 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2010/02/model_cars_gt_gt/

Our locos and stock now have better fine panel lines much like aircraft kits have significantly improved but the cars are still a bit coarse and I think as they are with the overall colour flatted down actually looks closer to reality than adding a pin wash. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from toning down the shininess of the paint, another thing I have done is to paint the side walls of the tyres a "tyre rubber" colour by Lifecolour. It is more grey than black.

Also, adding drivers and passengers helps.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 12:29, Erichill16 said:

Seeing the picture of the rusty Renault4(?) did anyone notice the rusting Lotus Elan in a recent HM article on creating a back street car workshop?

I haven't seen the article but I feel duty bound to point out that the Lotus Elan was Glassfibre bodied and would not, indeed could not, rust (the chassis was a steel and did rust... enthusiastically)

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

I haven't seen the article but I feel duty bound to point out that the Lotus Elan was Glassfibre bodied and would not, indeed could not, rust (the chassis was a steel and did rust... enthusiastically)

Thats was exactly my point! 😀

Here’s mine.

IMG_0370.jpeg.c15897c044b3b13e8330d4095cb94a36.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some very good ideas on this thread, thanks to all for sharing their techniques: very inspiring. I sometimes use road vehicles as loads on railway wagons or low loaders and dislike the way they look on a kit-built wagon, so these ideas are very useful!

• 2 weeks later...

Mirrors can be cut from tinfoil using a small leather punch or scissors, and glued on to fishing line fixed into holes in the bodywork. Being flexible, they can stand handling without damage.

It's very rare to see tax discs and operators licences represented on model vehicles - and so easy to do!

• Like 2