Ben86’s industrial workbench

Welcome to my new thread

I’ve started many projects but never seemed to have the time or drive to complete anything, so after a change of shift at work I now find myself with plenty of drive and modelling time.

I’ve always been interested in industrial railways, there’s something about the run down condition of locos, wagons, tracks and just general atmosphere that appeals to me, so I’ve started a few internal user wagon projects for a planned steel works themed shunting plank.

First up are two Hornby 27 ton tippler wagons, I converted these into internal user scrap wagons but replacing the body supports with 2.5mm styrene strip, for a more heavy duty looking wagon perfect for scrap movements, I fitted Alan gibson wheels and accurascale couplings before undercoated, there’s just final painting and weathering to finish.

A5334094-04AE-4CE8-BFEB-AC56C6EE4093.jpeg.a001875c0b95fb0c58acd8870e8c6362.jpeg

The next wagon is a Bachmann bogie bolster c wagon, with Hornby releasing there newly tooled model soon, I’ve just done a simple modification to the bolsters, based on a similar wagon at BSC Shelton bar. I fitted Alan gibson wheels and accurascale couplings before undercoated, there’s just final painting and weathering to finish.

1485037E-2363-4A90-9202-0A59814F0875.jpeg.fc91a67f0abf0d2f3b238ee4ccea862e.jpeg

I’ll have a few more updates soon.

Ben

Edited by Ben86
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• Ben86 changed the title to Ben86’s industrial workbench

With the recent bad weather and having a few Bachmann 16t mineral wagons laying around, I’ve got on with a few more scrap wagon conversions.

Both wagons are based on prototypes seen at bsc aldwarke on Paul bartletts excellent site. Both wagons have a scratch built body on a spare Bachmann chassis and both have been attacked with the soldering iron for that battered look, they are just awaiting undercoating and some filthy weathering applying.

EF70875C-4A38-4DE5-B7FF-95E400532F1D.jpeg.40c5b0390e3bc93981b574a90c5e6d92.jpeg

5540B47B-288D-4A96-B5AB-9BEAB80E0E81.jpeg.d5dfc7cebbf2d83fafb560012e9b7ee0.jpeg

Ben

Edited by Ben86
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 hours ago, Sludger said:

Hi Ben,

nice work mate.

I will keep an eye on your posts.

Trev.

15 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Ben you have done some nice work on the wagons. Look forward to seeing them painted up and weathered.👍

Thank you, I’ll try and get all the wagons weathered over the weekend, I’ve got a stash of wagons and unbuilt kits I’ve collected over the years, I’m gradually working my way through them.

Ben

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I assume you have a copy of this by David Monk-Steel and available from the Industrial Railway Society.

IMG_1809.png

Hi Mark, I haven’t got the book above, I normally find prototype pictures on Paul bartletts site or a Google search, but for £7 I might get one.

Ben

The internal user wagon fleets have a huge amount of variation in them , many started life as mainline but many were purpose built for the works.

The HMRS photograph collection has a good selection of photo’s in it especially the Charles Roberts collection. In the NRM at York is the drawing collection and also their photo collection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2023 at 14:02, Mark Saunders said:

The internal user wagon fleets have a huge amount of variation in them , many started life as mainline but many were purpose built for the works.

The HMRS photograph collection has a good selection of photo’s in it especially the Charles Roberts collection. In the NRM at York is the drawing collection and also their photo collection.

Thanks mark, I’ve always liked the look of the ex main line wagon conversions at places such as allied steel cardiff and bsc aldwarke.

Ben

Edited by Ben86

4 hours ago, Corbs said:

Excellent work on the wagons Ben, the rippled metal is very convincing.

Thank you corbs, I’ve achieved this by heating the plastic up on the cooking hob and then bending into the desired shape.

thanks

Ben

• Informative/Useful 1