Wrapping box madness

For a man who gets his kicks from building as opposed to operating these one point wonders that fit in a wrapping paper box suit me fine. Here we have Edengate stabling,point, Eden Mill dries and a possible Loch Eden terminus.  Baseboards are all ply, pine and glue (no screws).  At 28" x 8" it doesn't take much to fill a board!  Still wip but conscious I have been reading and not posting much lately.

20230730_202153.jpg

20230730_202144.jpg

20230730_202138.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

All are designed to work with a fiddle stick and in the case of the engine shed I have added a rear fiddle stick to allow a loco to fit completely.  Most buildings are obvious origins but the driers are a scratch build using a scalescenes down load as a template.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice.  Not sure what scale / gauge the red class 152 is (DBAG or Playmobil?):

spacer.png

Mind you, I expect more people will be concerned about the apparently extreme definition of a “fiddle stick” in this photo - more like walking the plank?  Lovely modelling - please keep us updated.  Thanks for sharing, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

Keith it is a playmobil loco. I bought two bargain sets when the first grandson arrived. Two big stacker boxes but alas trains are no match for superheroes or footie!  The youngest will occasionally ask to run on the garden railway so not all bad.  Grandson 3 due in October so another chance to find a loco lover!

No 37s were injured in filming but the "concrete" centre road is yet to be fixed down.

• Like 2

Lovely layouts - and and nice, manageable size so therefore more likely to get finished (in my case, at least!) Plenty of great inspiration there to kickstart me into beginning mine!

What is the make of the stone wall on the backscene in this shot? It looks very realistic with a good 3D effect - is it Redutex or is it a home-printed sheet from Scalescenes or SMS or someone?

Cheers, Neil.

On 30/07/2023 at 20:35, bazzer42 said:

20230730_202025.jpg

On 01/08/2023 at 10:37, Porfuera said:

Lovely layouts - and and nice, manageable size so therefore more likely to get finished (in my case, at least!) Plenty of great inspiration there to kickstart me into beginning mine!

What is the make of the stone wall on the backscene in this shot? It looks very realistic with a good 3D effect - is it Redutex or is it a home-printed sheet from Scalescenes or SMS or someone?

Cheers, Neil.

Hi Neil, the card sheets are Vollmer. They are quite nice and I find myself enjoying working with card again.  Perhaps it will be superquick next, spent hours building those as a kid!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/08/2023 at 13:51, ModRXsouth said:

You mention the 28x8 inches dimensions - what brand or source of wrapping paper box?

Hi, I've been using the Really Useful boxes, no connection.  You can buy baseboard kits specifically for them but found it can be done for a tenner tops if you can use a saw.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

Hi, I've been using the Really Useful boxes, no connection.  You can buy baseboard kits specifically for them but found it can be done for a tenner tops if you can use a saw.

OK yes, the Scale Model Scenery ‘baseboard in a box’ kits for two sizes from the Really Useful Box range. 

Twist of events on Loch Eden and built another board that could accommodate a low relief slipway and water front. Some lighter board has been ordered for the main bridge.  The metal fronts are recycled from a failed attempt at a harbour.  The wills kit is a test and will need to be slimmer so probably a scratch build.

20230808_180749.jpg

16915725272894031421994312041162.jpg

Edited by bazzer42
Missed sentence
  • Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

When you really should be finishing the clay works and loco shed but working with foamboard and card is more fun.  The 1.5mm grey mounting board makes a nice platform surface without painting albeit a tad standard.  Loch side railings ordered and a wills platelayer hut to go next to the bridge.  There will be a road under the bridge to give access to whatever appears as a goods shed/platform.

20230907_213817.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2023 at 20:35, bazzer42 said:

20230730_202025.jpg

On 07/09/2023 at 21:45, bazzer42 said:

20230907_213817.jpg

I have to confess - you've got me here; I've just spent 20/30 minutes here at work doodling in my head something that looks similar to this using my Green Bachmann 2-EPB and some Peco Bullhead Track! An urban station - long since lost its importance but hanging on for the sheer expedient of reversing a train out of the way of the far more important traffic on the mainline.

I cannot wait to see more!
Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 2

A bit more progress, platform glued and backscene fitted. The vollmer sheets are very unforgiving for joining, think I may need to add a wooden upright to hide the joint.   

I agree with you Gary on the bullhead.  I will probably out this layout so sticking to code 100.  I did use BH on my Merthyr layout as that was a keeper!  PS saw your facebox post and has got me wondering about a run round loop on the next build.

20230920_212436.jpg

20230920_212413.jpg

• Like 6

On 20/09/2023 at 21:37, bazzer42 said:

A bit more progress, platform glued and backscene fitted. The vollmer sheets are very unforgiving for joining, think I may need to add a wooden upright to hide the joint.   

I agree with you Gary on the bullhead.  I will probably out this layout so sticking to code 100.  I did use BH on my Merthyr layout as that was a keeper!  PS saw your facebox post and has got me wondering about a run round loop on the next build.

20230920_212436.jpg

20230920_212413.jpg

Its coming along great!
I feel its going to be a really interesting scene where you can focus on details and vignettes I have followed to catch more info as/when it arrives.

Thats very kind to say you saw my FB post; compared to yourself I am playing in the sandbox of modelling rather than up with any of the bigger boys (or girls). 😆
Kind Regards,
Gary

If you will eat apart of shepherd's pie that has been out of the fridge for 24 hours you will need to have a "quiet" day building kits.  I had hoped to get a canopy on the building but probably not tall enough.  The Ian Futers pictures of Kyle of Lochalsh in his book show the canopy joining part way up the roof so that may be an option.   Hopefully i can get the railings to work although they seem happy to disintegrate on cutting.

20230925_172152.jpg

20230925_172140.jpg

20230925_172117.jpg

Edited by bazzer42
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely mild, breezy day for ballast drying and pleased with how it turned out.  The lamp posts are cut down Ratio street lights with brass tube bases. A cocktail stick in the bottom (oo-er) worked a treat and they are glued in place.  

Not sure what to do between the tracks and may keep it simple and have a hardstanding.

20231006_192157.jpg

20231006_192152.jpg

20231006_192148.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I reckon a bit of overgrown bracken or foilage between the tracks with a few discarded rusty rails in the undergrowth would look epic!

Edited by Rich_F
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You should be very proud of this, it looks great - such a simple track plan it feels uncluttered yet purposeful.
I am wondering if I can imitate and adapt it to Southern Region for my next project! 😄

I look forwards to seeing more.
Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 2

On 09/10/2023 at 08:27, Matloughe said:

You should be very proud of this, it looks great - such a simple track plan it feels uncluttered yet purposeful.
I am wondering if I can imitate and adapt it to Southern Region for my next project! 😄

I look forwards to seeing more.
Kind Regards,
Gary

Go for it Gary, the only variation i have is to enter the lay out from the other side!  I am enjoying these little layouts and really need to finish off the depot before returning to the China clay.  Possibly an urban terminus next using a Y point on entry.  A mini Merthyr after my previous thread.