LNER Coronation and West Riding Ltd Stock - Bogie Prototype

hclewis

Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me.

I need to locate drawings of the bogies for LNER Coronation and West Riding Ltd stock (LNER Diagrams 228-232). From the Isinglass drawings I have purchased, it seems the outer bogies are 8ft 6in wheelbase, and the articulated bogie types are 10ft 0in wheelbase. I was hoping to find drawings on HMRS - on this section of the site - but I can't work out which, if any, are the correct ones for the stock. From pictures, I don't think the bogies are 'heavy type', but I am not sure if they are 'light type' or standard. The 'LNE-N' lettering on the axle boxes seems to be consistent with the 'light type', but the wheel profile on these drawings looks different. I think most of the drawings on HMRS are around 10 years too early. I bought HMRS 13507 as a test, which has some features in common with the pictures I've seen, but this drawing is dated 1928, whereas the stock was built in the late 30s. I am by no means an expert on LNER coaches, so I could be barking up the wrong tree here.

There is a good view of the bogies here: 

London & North Eastern Railway - LNER The Coronation train - "beavertail" observation car Nr. 1719

I was going to try asking on the LNER Encyclopedia Forum, but their website didn't send me an activation email, and I can't find a way to contact the admin (I checked my spam too!).

If someone could supply drawings, or let me know which HMRS (or other catalogue, including books) item represents what I'm looking for, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

These are heavyweight bogies. You can tell by the two rows of rivets above the axlebox. Lightweight ones only have one row. You are also looking at the wrong thing on the axlebox cover. LNE-N refers to which LNER works cast the axleboxs. N refers to Doncaster. Underneath this is another code, probably JJ, this refers to the journal size. 

4 hours ago, hclewis said:

Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me.

I need to locate drawings of the bogies for LNER Coronation and West Riding Ltd stock (LNER Diagrams 228-232). From the Isinglass drawings I have purchased, it seems the outer bogies are 8ft 6in wheelbase, and the articulated bogie types are 10ft 0in wheelbase. I was hoping to find drawings on HMRS - on this section of the site - but I can't work out which, if any, are the correct ones for the stock. From pictures, I don't think the bogies are 'heavy type', but I am not sure if they are 'light type' or standard. The 'LNE-N' lettering on the axle boxes seems to be consistent with the 'light type', but the wheel profile on these drawings looks different. I think most of the drawings on HMRS are around 10 years too early. I bought HMRS 13507 as a test, which has some features in common with the pictures I've seen, but this drawing is dated 1928, whereas the stock was built in the late 30s. I am by no means an expert on LNER coaches, so I could be barking up the wrong tree here.

There is a good view of the bogies here: 

London & North Eastern Railway - LNER The Coronation train - "beavertail" observation car Nr. 1719

I was going to try asking on the LNER Encyclopedia Forum, but their website didn't send me an activation email, and I can't find a way to contact the admin (I checked my spam too!).

If someone could supply drawings, or let me know which HMRS (or other catalogue, including books) item represents what I'm looking for, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Look here re LNER Forum

https://www.lner.info/forums/help/faq

5 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Thanks Mike, this is tremendous. I have registered on the Western Thunder website so that I can view the full size images.

7 hours ago, Trestrol said:

These are heavyweight bogies. You can tell by the two rows of rivets above the axlebox. Lightweight ones only have one row. You are also looking at the wrong thing on the axlebox cover. LNE-N refers to which LNER works cast the axleboxs. N refers to Doncaster. Underneath this is another code, probably JJ, this refers to the journal size. 

Thanks for this information. Would these be the same diagram as designed in the 20s, then?