Options for discoloured freightliner containers

Hi

Like many the containers have suffered UV damage and become yellow on places.

I'm minded to spray over it all with grey primer and leave it at that.

While I have seen a terrific variation in the grey applied, I wonder if my proposal will be too dark?

I'm looking to do this on a mimited budget.

Thoughts please?

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

I have seen the yellowy band along the top of the container on a number of triang containers.  I suspect it is caused by some sort of deterioration or leakage of the glue used to secure the roof to the body moulding.  Not sure whether the yellowy goo can be removed - I would experiment at cleaning it with a solvent such as IPA.  I'm not sure the colour has faded from UV though, I thought they were always that light grey.  This vintage model is a product of its time, and is not up to modern standards of accuracy, so I agree it's not worth spending too much on restoration.  Some of the Triang wagons had the blue body that yours has, others were black.

If you want to improve the appearance, I would be inclined to respray the grey, having first masked off the red band with the lettering which I would leave alone rather than having to reletter.  Grey primer sounds about right to me.

They also originally had a (self-adhesive?) paper label with a container number in the top right hand corner, but I think they all carried the same number, which would be inaccurate.  I have recently seen such numbers offered on ebay as labels or perhaps by a transfer manufacturer, though I can't remember who.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree with Michael above, the grey colour looks fine to me, if there is any fading it is minimal.

Assuming you do respray I'd be sure to give the bits that aren't red a bit of a scrub in Cif or similar to get them clean and also minutely scratched to help the paint adhere.

John.

Hi all

Many thanks.

I went with grey primer and they now look nice.

Darker than the originals for sure but I've seen such a wide variance of shades online that I think they will do.

I'll say they are fresh from a respray (which is true lol)

• 6 months later...

Hi

So I have had to spray two of the Triang FLs using just a grey primer, it looks good but is obviously darker compared to the originals. However I have seen variation in the real thing.

Good enough or should I go to the trouble of finding a spray can with a lighter grey?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi

So I have had to spray two of the Triang FLs using just a grey primer, it looks good but is obviously darker compared to the originals. However I have seen variation in the real thing.

Good enough or should I go to the trouble of finding a spray can with a lighter grey?

Thanks

Well they might be a tad dark, but then some of the others seem rather light!

I'd suggest you revisit some prototype photos before you do anything else, and see what kind of mix there was. Having done so see if there might be a case for respraying one or two of these and also some of the light ones into an intermediate shade, then mix them up a bit on the wagons.

John.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Well they might be a tad dark, but then some of the others seem rather light!

I'd suggest you revisit some prototype photos before you do anything else, and see what kind of mix there was. Having done so see if there might be a case for respraying one or two of these and also some of the light ones into an intermediate shade, then mix them up a bit on the wagons.

John.

Hi John and thanks. I found this company making them and they match the shade of my resprayed ones.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/ax007-oo-freightliner-containers-card-kit-20ft-non-iso-oo4mm176-1748-p.asp

And this site shows some real photos with quite a bit of variation. It seems to me that when new they were darker but near the end they were light???

https://www.imcdb.org/v001103863.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi John and thanks. I found this company making them and they match the shade of my resprayed ones.

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/ax007-oo-freightliner-containers-card-kit-20ft-non-iso-oo4mm176-1748-p.asp

And this site shows some real photos with quite a bit of variation. It seems to me that when new they were darker but near the end they were light???

https://www.imcdb.org/v001103863.html

Interesting, they probably just became lighter with the bleaching effect of the weather, sun and rain.

I'd suggest that this is no more than happens with any rolling stock. I've used this picture before, and it is in preservation, but if someone thinks they're sure what a real maroon Mk1 coach should look like, then they need to look away now! Click on the pic for details if it's of interest,

IMG_1418copy2

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I'd agree with that. Mixing them up will give a much better effect. I'd probably look at some basic weathering as well to reduce the variation in colour and give some harmony to the different shades. I have built up a set of Hornby and Lima ARC "PTA" wagons*, and the Lima shade is much more mustard than the bright yellow of the Hornby ones, but some weathering has made them look much more like a uniform set of wagons with variations in shade, colour, wear, etc from use, rather than a string of differently-coloured plastics. Even just a few coats of paint-on, wipe-off with some shades of dirty browny colours on all of them (and the wagons) would probably get rid of the start contrast.

*Yes, I know they're not that accurate as PTAs, but for the very occasional run behind an ARC class 59, they're fine and make quite an impressive sight at much lower cost than a set of Accurascale ones! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like to mix grey shades on coach roofs. A few decades ago, PollyS made a range of Dungeons and Dragons paint. It was fun to use Gargoyle Grey and Ooze Grey.  Some of my first class seats are in Beholder Eyestalk Purple.

(PollyS is now defunct)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1