Experiments in monochrone

57xx

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting stuff there but would it have been of any relevance or interest to, say, the Gloucester Wagon Co's staff photographer?

An interesting question, about the interesting stuff...

I'd imagine that the Gloucester Wagon Co's staff photographer would not in fact have been greatly interested, because he'd probably consider this sort of discussion too theoretical and impractical. He'd have a job to do, with the tools he had; and assuming the GW Company approved of his results, I doubt he'd have been interested in questioning things further.

We're arriving after the event and discussing the end results, something like musicologists wondering why a composer wrote a particular passage of music in a particular way, someone who was a working musician, writing to please a patron or employer...

Fascinating discussion though: thank you to all who are contributing to our knowledge.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Hi.

How things looked in a picture did matter to some company photographers.  Were not GWR official pictures of new engines taken with the engine painted grey?  And the engine was then repainted green before entering service presumably at some cost.  What was the reason for doing that, assuming I have correctly understood what was done.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, GWR_Modeller said:

Hi.

How things looked in a picture did matter to some company photographers.  Were not GWR official pictures of new engines taken with the engine painted grey?  And the engine was then repainted green before entering service presumably at some cost.  What was the reason for doing that, assuming I have correctly understood what was done.

Paul

I believe it was due to the fact that the dark green would have rendered in a dark grey, thus making it not as clear, losing detail in any shadows etc. A light works grey as used enabled you to see the engine more clearly.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GWR_Modeller said:

Hi.

Paul

Not just the GW - standard practice both at railway company shops and the loco trade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...