What ballast ?

I am just about to scrap and rebuilt a layout to cure some inbuilt problems and one thing I need to get right is noise levels. The present one, laid on 9mm plywood ( as is the intention for the replacement) and everything thing ran sweetly until I ballasted it with Woodland Scenics ballast an it then became, to my ear, unacceptably noisy. It’s not even a “train noise “, which would be more acceptable but seems to resonate the noise of the motor  as it runs slower towards the stop. My Oxfordrail N7, a lovely sweet runner on unballasted track makes a terrible grinding sort of sound on ballasted track. Others are more or less the same. It’s a pity because now the track has been weathered it really looks the part be the noise really grates on me.

The track is laid directly onto the baseboard, without cork. I am thinking about cork on the next version but the general consensus is that it will make little or more difference.

Will some other type of ballast make a difference or do I Just have to put up with the noise? 
The layout is DCp

12 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I am just about to scrap and rebuilt a layout to cure some inbuilt problems and one thing I need to get right is noise levels. The present one, laid on 9mm plywood ( as is the intention for the replacement) and everything thing ran sweetly until I ballasted it with Woodland Scenics ballast an it then became, to my ear, unacceptably noisy. It’s not even a “train noise “, which would be more acceptable but seems to resonate the noise of the motor  as it runs slower towards the stop. My Oxfordrail N7, a lovely sweet runner on unballasted track makes a terrible grinding sort of sound on ballasted track. Others are more or less the same. It’s a pity because now the track has been weathered it really looks the part be the noise really grates on me.

The track is laid directly onto the baseboard, without cork. I am thinking about cork on the next version but the general consensus is that it will make little or more difference.

Will some other type of ballast make a difference or do I Just have to put up with the noise? 
The layout is DCp

What glue did you use to fix the ballast? 

I have read that PVA, because it sets like concrete, increases running noise.

I used Copydex 50/50 with water to fix the ballast, with the track laid on 3mm cork, and the cork fixed to the 9mm plywood baseboard with 100% Copydex. Trains runs quietly, well to my ears anyway.

• Thanks 1