Air compressor help

• RMweb Gold

Hoping someone might be able to advise.

While airbrushing last week I was having a lot of issues getting adequate airflow through my airbrush.  After fully stripping the airbrush and giving a deep clean, the problem remained and was eventually tracked down to a faulty regulator on the compressor.

The issue is that the gap between the outlet of the box containing the pressure cut out switch and the tank is not big enough to rotate the new pressure regulator (the old one only came off after removing the broken knob).   Ideally I really don’t want to remove the pressure cut off box from the air cylinder.   I have a quick disconnect attachment that I use between the water trap and airline, if I put this between the outlet and the regulator it gives enough of an extension to allow the part to fit.   I don’t want to have this in the high pressure side of the system, so I was wondering if it would be safe to buy a 45mm 1/4bsp male to female extension piece and fix this between the pressure cut off and the regulator.   I don’t know enough about this sort of thing to know if this is a silly idea or not (or if I’d be better removing the cut off switch, fitting the regulator and then re attaching.)

hoping there may be someone on here who understands these things well enough to advise

thanks

Rich 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My issue is that I can’t get the new valve installed as the knob fouls on the compressor.   I have tried removing the cut off switch so I could install the new regulator valve then refit, but it’s just rounding the nut rather than undoing.

IMG_7683.jpeg.c0e58d01521b23360feef58df58794a0.jpeg

new part held in position showing the obstruction on the left hand side.

The issue is that the fitting between the regulator and the safety cut off is so short (in order to get it to fit the knob needs to be over the end of the tank.)

As a test I tried the quick release connector between the safety cut off and regulator.  Which gives enough extra length that it fits.  
IMG_7684.jpeg.3d5696ebf00b84a174cba263800d22f3.jpeg

now I assume that a quick release this side of the regulator would be a big mistake, however I was wondering if I could either fit an extension piece (eg this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121276016227?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=NixkHUICQ1K&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Ay3QC_q6RVC&var=425979003626&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Between the safety cut switch and the regulator would give it the extra clearance needed to allow me to connect the two parts.

(I had a similar issue removing the existing regulator, but in this case given it was already broken I just cut off the knob to get the required clearance…)