Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Howard Jones ... founder of the Wolsztyn Experience.

Mallard60022

Such sad news. 

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Howard, but have derived much pleasure  from his efforts to keep steam alive in Wolsztyn. 

I never did get round to booking a place, but have enjoyed the spectacle  from the lineside

For that I am eternally grateful.  

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive met Howard several times, interesting chap, simply living the dream was how I saw him, very laid back casual.

That he made a living out of it was fantastic for him, and he made Poland aware of its railway history.

It was Howard who invited me for a spin to Bydgoszcz on the mainline to Gdansk with Prarie 5521, with speeds approaching nearly 60mph at one point and being thrown around the footplate.

I can't help but think after 2009 things changed somewhat, WE was more sidelined as Turkol evolved and Poland started to organise and run its own events. Wolsztyn itself has evolved to become more independent. In that sense it was sad that the man that made it possible lost some influence.

I read that WE will cease in August, so I guess with it is the footplate experience, but Wolsztyn exists on a commercial footing, it gives Poland a steam footprint and its culture is recognised. All around the country steam locomotives are protected and slowly many are becoming more cared for. If it hadnt been for WE and Howard, pretty much all Polish steam would have been scrapped without much thought by 2002 and certainly nothing running.

Everytime a loco has a fire in it in Poland, aside of Chabowka,  its fair to say it will be because of him.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2023 at 18:18, adb968008 said:

Ive met Howard several times, interesting chap, simply living the dream was how I saw him, very laid back casual.

That he made a living out of it was fantastic for him, and he made Poland aware of its railway history.

It was Howard who invited me for a spin to Bydgoszcz on the mainline to Gdansk with Prarie 5521, with speeds approaching nearly 60mph at one point and being thrown around the footplate.

I can't help but think after 2009 things changed somewhat, WE was more sidelined as Turkol evolved and Poland started to organise and run its own events. Wolsztyn itself has evolved to become more independent. In that sense it was sad that the man that made it possible lost some influence.

I read that WE will cease in August, so I guess with it is the footplate experience, but Wolsztyn exists on a commercial footing, it gives Poland a steam footprint and its culture is recognised. All around the country steam locomotives are protected and slowly many are becoming more cared for. If it hadnt been for WE and Howard, pretty much all Polish steam would have been scrapped without much thought by 2002 and certainly nothing running.

Everytime a loco has a fire in it in Poland, aside of Chabowka,  its fair to say it will be because of him.

Absolutley. A grand tribute to the old chap.  

I did two weeks in 2003 and 2004 and I'm glad I did. It was brilliant; including one of the last Goods workings and an extra Mushroom Special!

I think all the Steam Crews from then are either dead or so old they don't work? Bar one perhaps who was a miserable sod and did not enjoy having 'Students' on the footplate.

I believe the Tourist and Museum Service are now more involved and Wolsztyn itself has become a far busier tourist destination.

They have some very bizarre events at the Depot and it is quite popular for Fashion Shoots!

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Absolutley. A grand tribute to the old chap.  

I did two weeks in 2003 and 2004 and I'm glad I did. It was brilliant; including one of the last Goods workings and an extra Mushroom Special!

I think all the Steam Crews from then are either dead or so old they don't work? Bar one perhaps who was a miserable sod and did not enjoy having 'Students' on the footplate.

I believe the Tourist and Museum Service are now more involved and Wolsztyn itself has become a far busier tourist destination.

They have some very bizarre events at the Depot and it is quite popular for Fashion Shoots!

P

it was the whole insanity of it…

That you could just rock up at a steam depot, get on the footplate, pay the right people and then take the loco off shed and onto the mainline with it.

i recall being told you can drive as long as your competent. I asked what that means, the reply was… if you get there on time with enough spare water, your competent.

Ty45-379.. the last steam freight loco in scheduled service in Poland, summer 2002.

FD24CFC0-87DC-4B60-9585-658434A06083.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

it was the whole insanity of it…

That you could just rock up at a steam depot, get on the footplate, pay the right people and then take the loco off shed and onto the mainline with it.

i recall being told you can drive as long as your competent. I asked what that means, the reply was… if you get there on time with enough spare water, your competent.

Ty45-379.. the last steam freight loco in scheduled service in Poland, summer 2002.

FD24CFC0-87DC-4B60-9585-658434A06083.jpeg

The first time I went, our first turn was the morning commuter service to Poznan. So one murky morning Howard took me and my pal down to the engine, shown to the cab, Howard quickly pointed out some of the various controls and gauges and then left us to it.

I was sat in the drivers seat somewhat nervous, there was a whistle then a shout of "Odjaz" from across the cab, I turned to look and this was followed up with "go, GO" and a point of the finger ahead. I pushed the regulator open, she slipped, I yanked it back and then the Polish crew burst out laughing as I tried again to get us moving, successfully this time.

This was on one of the OL's - 59 I think - and the crew were none other than Janus and Andre, two of Wolszytn's greatest characters and regular partners in crime.

Once the crews realised you had some idea what you were doing you were generally left to get on with it with little interference. One of the best runs I ever had was with "Bum" (those who went will know who I mean) and he'd had a massive falling out with his fireman that day, so was very much in the huff. We ran from Wolsztyn-Leszno-Wolsztyn-Zbasynek-Wolsztyn and he never said a word beyond the odd jab in the ribs to let me know if I'd passed the braking point, otherwise he gave everyone a thorough ignoring.

The crazy things that used to go on at every single visit would be unbelievable to most, that is unless you'd been lucky enough to do it yourself. Just a few I remember were: running a loco in service with a firebox that looked like a water feature, the Polish fireman on the running plate hammering the Westinghouse pump as we raced home to Wolsztyn one snowy winters night, derailing a loco over little used points and just "getting on with it" with some very heath robinson gear to rerail, stopping the loco alongside a pub for a quick piwo or two and then heading off, lassoing a tree that was uprooted and leaning gently against the OHLE then commandeering the local farmer and his tractor to pull it clear in exchange for vodka with the line still open. 

The aforementioned Janus was an excellent engineman and the only time I can recall him losing his cool was when the Pacific had returned to service, albeit with a speedometer which also had a monitoring/recording device; she was the only steam loco with a speedo in Poland as I recall. At that time she couldn't fit on the turntable at Wolsztyn so ran tender first at times. Some manager then analysed the data and scolded Janus on running over the speed limit tender first. His response was to attack said speedometer with a hammer, then once detached throw it at said manager along with a request in Polish to stick it somewhere uncomfortable.

To explain for those unaware: the Polish crews were paid bonuses for timekeeping, hence rules and the odd speed limit were occasionally bent to make sure we got where we should on time.

The Blues Express was one of those turns which had to be done but probably never repeated by most; absolutely exhausting, lots of beer, emergency break applications galore etc and nearly 24 hours continuously on the footplate.

I suppose it really was all a bit insane.

Happy, fun, unrepeatable times with some wonderful people and all thanks to Howard.

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2023 at 16:44, Bon Accord said:

The crazy things that used to go on at every single visit would be unbelievable to most, that is unless you'd been lucky enough to do it yourself. Just a few I remember were: running a loco in service with a firebox that looked like a water feature, the Polish fireman on the running plate hammering the Westinghouse pump as we raced home to Wolsztyn one snowy winters night, derailing a loco over little used points and just "getting on with it" with some very heath robinson gear to rerail, stopping the loco alongside a pub for a quick piwo or two and then heading off, lassoing a tree that was uprooted and leaning gently against the OHLE then commandeering the local farmer and his tractor to pull it clear in exchange for vodka with the line still open. 

This part is worth highlighting.

I remember 0l49-7 one afternoon at wolstyn, in full steam but the crew were apparently draining the water from the boiler. So naturally i questioned that….

only to be told it wasn't being drained, it was just leaking, very badly… like multiple holes.

It went out on time that afternoon, with the leak unfixed. It just stopped for water enroute.

the boiler pressure must have been really low.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2023 at 21:24, adb968008 said:

I remember 0l49-7 one afternoon at wolstyn, in full steam but the crew were apparently draining the water from the boiler. So naturally i questioned that….

only to be told it wasn't being drained, it was just leaking, very badly… like multiple holes.

It went out on time that afternoon, with the leak unfixed. It just stopped for water enroute.

Funnily enough, Ol49-7 was the first loco I saw in Wolsztyn, and I've never seen so much water pouring out of a loco before! Remarkably it lasted another 3 weeks in traffic before being dumped in the sidings near the station, never to work again.

I never met Howard, but I'm very grateful for what he achieved out there. Even now, to be able to book last minute flights and head over there for a couple of days of proper mainline steam is still quite unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 05/09/2023 at 21:24, adb968008 said:

It could well have been number 7. I'm sure there was another somewhat damp OL49 - maybe 100? I think that was the one which was sent for overhaul and dismantled but never came back.

I do remember one day leaving Wolsztyn in a loco with leaking side stays only for the driver to ask me to stop at the level crossing just before the shed, he then clambered down and ran inside, returning moments later with a sheet of thin copper. We then got underway again.

He then spent the next wee while trying to hold it against the side of the box in an attempt to "fuse" it over the site of the leak.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

It could well have been number 7. I'm sure there was another somewhat damp OL49 - maybe 100? I think that was the one which was sent for overhaul and dismantled but never came back.

I do remember one day leaving Wolsztyn in a loco with leaking side stays only for the driver to ask me to stop at the level crossing just before the shed, he then clambered down and ran inside, returning moments later with a sheet of thin copper. We then got underway again.

He then spent the next wee while trying to hold it against the side of the box in an attempt to "fuse" it over the site of the leak.

I did circa 9 trips  trips to Wolstyn, each one with over 1000 images and videos… ive been looking for the leak video the last few days… the memory of a shower of water just streaming out of the firebox and onto the frames has never left me, but ive not found it yet.

it was one of ol49-7,23,59,69,111 though.

69 is subjective however, ive seen 3 locos carrying the number ol49-69 on the same day in different places, each one was in bits. Each time i saw ol49-69 in steam it was clearly a different beast to the last one I saw in steam.

This is the ol49-69 I considered “original” Howard said he spent £3k (yes really thats all) to have a new steel firebox fitted into it c1996-98, bargain, that said a polish firebox I wouldnt rate much higher than a B&Q BBQ at the time.

12AFE4BD-53D5-43C5-A4A4-8C545BF56C89.jpeg.323041e283dd363eb0386cec9ce4733b.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4