Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A4s in BR Express Blue

QuoitsPlayer

6 hours ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Hi everyone,

Did all the A4s end up being painted in express blue livery? 

I'm particularly interested in knowing if Australia, Eisenhower, Canada, Silver Fox  and India did. 

Many thanks, Matt 

Can’t help you regarding the individual A4’s but I’m pretty certain that the only complete class of express passenger locomotives that all went blue was the GW ‘King’ Class. 
I’m sure someone will tell me if I’m wrong though! 😀

All 34 that made it to nationalisation were painted BR blue. 60013 was the first when ex-works on 20 May 1949. It was followed by 60032 on 10 June and 60014 on 22 June. All had the first BR logo on the tender. Supplies of the logo were clearly limited because 60031 and 60009 came out on 5 July and 4 August respectively without it though both were later given it. The last to lose Garter Blue and get BR blue was 600034 which entered Doncaster works on 25 October 1950 and left on 4 December 1950 in BR blue.

This livery lasted until green with orange and black lining started to be applied from August 1951. No 60001 was the first so painted. 60026 was the last into BR green in January 1953.

Simon

Edited by slilley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Matt37268 said:

Proves I’m talking BS then! 😀 how long did it take for the Purple one to go into blue then? 60028 Walter  K Wigham I think. 

To answer your question, No 60028 was painted in purple in June 1948. It got BR blue during an overhaul in October 1950. It was then repainted into BR green in June 1952.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

As stated above they all did apart from the one that was hit by the Luftwaffe.

If I remember correctly, the loco involved was 4469 Sir Ralph Wedgewood.

4469 was stabled at York North Shed (what is now the National Railway Museum's Great Hall) on the night of 28/29 April 1942, the night of the Baedeker raid on York. During the attack, York station and North Shed were bombed. 4469 and another nearby engine, B16 class No. 925, were damaged after a bomb fell through the shed roof and exploded between the two engines. 4469 was severely damaged as a result of the explosion, but it was recovered and towed to Doncaster shortly afterwards. Due to the degree of damage, 4469 was condemned and later scrapped.

On 29th April 1992, A plaque was placed in the exact spot in the Great Hall where No. 4469 was destroyed by the Gresley Society to mark the 50th anniversary of the raid.

The tender from the  withdrawn 4469 was reconditoned and  fitted with steam brakes. It was put behind Thompson pacific 3696, later 60507 Highland Chieftan, during a repair at Doncaster  between 26/10/1945 and 24/12/1945.

Simon