Dcc fitted unit not responding to controller

Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

I purchased a DCC sound fitted Realtrack class 156, but when I went to run it on DCC it wouldn’t respond. It was sent back and the chips replaced but on its return it still won’t respond. I have a Bachmann Dynamis controller (not the best I know)

When I tested the unit on dc it will fire up the sound, the lights come on and it runs so I’m at a loss why it won’t work on DCC. 

Start with are you using the correct address for the loco ?    Or, alternatively, try programming an address you know into the class 156.    

The Dynamis (original type, without the Pro box, or the later Ultima) has a really big hole in being unable to read-back decoders, so you're flying blind when it comes to debugging things. 

As we have discussed with the customer, the units have twin decoders, allowing for additional lighting & sound functions to operate as per the real units.

The models are fitted here by me and tested and set up to run as a matched pair, these are both addressed as 56 normally unless there are more than one on the order, if so they will have the address on the booklet enclosed.

So as discussed, running on DC and not DCC seems to be a controller issue rather than a model issue, but having and trying to read two decoders together 'could' confuse this Bachmann system.

Charlie (Realtrack Models/Legomanbiffo sounds)

Class 156 Realtrack on a Glas-Stranraer working.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the replies, yeah unfortunately there’s no read back on the controller.

I have managed to rig up my old digit trax controller (the transformer was damaged but used 12v supply from a dc controller to get it working) and the unit moved under address 56 so as Charlie says it’s a controller issue. If anyone has any suggestions what that might be, it’ll be most appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I think if you have a Digitrax system it will offer much more flexibility than the Dynamis, as you have found. A number of reputable UK dealers could offer you a new transformer for the Digitrax command station, no matter how elderly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did consider but It’s quite an old system (dt400) which is limited to 10 functions for locos, the dynamis was just a stop gap, but to be honest I hate the damn thing all you have to do is turn your back on the power base for 30 seconds and it switches off if it can’t detect the controller 🙄

1 hour ago, Boco_D1 said:

I did consider but It’s quite an old system (dt400) which is limited to 10 functions for locos, the dynamis was just a stop gap, but to be honest I hate the damn thing all you have to do is turn your back on the power base for 30 seconds and it switches off if it can’t detect the controller 🙄

With Digitrax, the throttle (DT400) is the limit.   If you put a newer throttle onto the command station, you get the newer range of functions.   That newer throttle could be a Digitrax unit, or anyone else selling LocoNet throttles,   or, if you had a computer interface unit for LocoNet, any throttle which connects via a computer.  

I have a circa 2005 Digitrax Zephyr.  Keypad is up to F8.  Put any other modern throttle on it, and I have up to F28.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Boco_D1 said:

Thanks for the advise guys I have a DCS 100 command station but I will certainly look into upgrading the throttle 

My DCS100 is 25 years old. My current throttles - DT602D - are a couple of years old. Not everyone likes Digitrax, but backward compatibility they are good at. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2