RMweb

Twistlock point motor under a scale model scenery baseboard

meatloaf

Thanks. What i was planning to do with the frog juicers and the distribution blocks for the track droppers  is install it to a piece of board then glue it to the underside of the baseboard. But it might be a good idea to get a larger piece to cover the entire bottom of the baseboard. 

Ive never used point motors before so what ill do is get hold of one and the lever and see how much room ive got to play with under the board

5 hours ago, jamesed said:

Good advice from @Gordon A Use a small piece of 9mm ply and hot glue it in position.  Hot glue is perfect for that sort of job and will stick firm very quickly. Just make sure you get it in the right place first time.

Yes, I've seen the hot glue thing recommended by, I think, NCE.  I will be trying that next time.

I would have expected that the there would be underlay on the board which should hide any screw which protrudes.  Then again, there is the trusty Dremel cutting wheel.

My preference is for slow motion switch motors like Tortoise or Cobalt.

John

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Yes, I've seen the hot glue thing recommended by, I think, NCE.  I will be trying that next time.

I would have expected that the there would be underlay on the board which should hide any screw which protrudes.  Then again, there is the trusty Dremel cutting wheel.

My preference is for slow motion switch motors like Tortoise or Cobalt.

John

We have the same issue with our Club layout using modular portable boards. The 4mm ply is just too thin to screw anything to it even with cork underlay. In fact, we are using Cobalt IP Digital motors so have simply cut out 40mmx40mm squares of 9mm ply, screwed the motor to the ply and then hot glued the whole thing in place under the board. The hot glue fix is rock solid and doesn't move once aligned but if we ever need to remove the motor it can simply be unscrewed. I did just that with one of them last night!