If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Greetings from Germany

Kinlochleven

Hello from Dortmund in Germany.  I joined the forum because I'm thinking about building a layout with a Scottish scene (West Highland to be precise). I just walked the West Highland Way last May, my first visit to Scotland in 30 Years and it was great. Scotland is just the country for me. As I came past the West Highland Line here and there the plan for a West Highland based layout came to my mind. So I studied a few books I have at home, bought another one and searched the web. Stumbling over information about the Ballachulish branch I found out that an extension from Ballachulish to Kinlochleven has been considered once upon a time. My plan now is to build a Kinlochleven station (the reason for my username),  the track plan loosely based on Ballachulish (2 platforms with passing loop, a few goods sidings, but leave out the depot), set roughly in the mid 80s.

As I have seen a few videos on Youtube from a channel called "budget model railways" I decided to go with older pre-owned stuff. The layout will be analogue anyway, so I found myself a few Lima locos for a decent price on eBay. I can do some fine detailing later I think. So a 37 and a 27 is already in the mail. Hope I can find out something more about British Railways here...

Edited by Kinlochleven
additional information
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to RMweb.

There are a few of us here with interest in the west highland line.  You couldn’t really call us a sub-group or sub-forum but I have always found that there is friendly, mutual support and we all learn from each other.  

Enjoy having a browse of the existing WHL layouts and hopefully we will soon see a thread on your layout. I look forward to it.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your West Highland Way walk too.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3

Pop Up designs do a laser cut kit of Ballachulish station. I think it is available as two kits for the complete building but perhaps one or both of these kits could be used for a station at Kinlochleven? If not identical there would have been similarities and entirely plausible if Kinlochleven had of been the terminus with Ballachulish a through station. 
This line would have been built by a different company to that portrayed in the Kinlochmore thread so the new Peco laser cut kit wouldn’t be so accurate but obviously this is entirely down to how fussy you want to be. It’s your model railway after all so your rules.

As BoD has said we’re a friendly bunch within these threads and a nice community to be involved in. Sometimes when you are in need of a little boost to the mojo or some advice on modelling or the prototype it’s always there.

Welcome to West Highland modelling and I’m looking forward to watching your layout develop.

The line from Connel Ferry to Ballachulish is nowadays a cycle/footpath and although not as remote as the West Highland Way could be something you’d like to walk or cycle in the future. 

Andy

On 21/08/2023 at 12:50, mallaig1983 said:

Pop Up designs do a laser cut kit of Ballachulish station. I think it is available as two kits for the complete building but perhaps one or both of these kits could be used for a station at Kinlochleven?

Yes, thanks. I already have this kit on my consideration list.

On 21/08/2023 at 12:50, mallaig1983 said:

If not identical there would have been similarities and entirely plausible if Kinlochleven had of been the terminus with Ballachulish a through station. 

Most probably. That's at least the way I think it would have been.

It’s your model railway after all so your rules.

Yes, exactly. And after all I'm neither building an architect's model nor a percise model of Kinlochleven for the local Visitors Center. Anyway Kinlochleven would look completely different if the line had been built...

As BoD has said we’re a friendly bunch within these threads and a nice community to be involved in. Sometimes when you are in need of a little boost to the mojo or some advice on modelling or the prototype it’s always there.

That's nice :) I'll ask for help, ispiration or advice if needed.

Welcome to West Highland modelling and I’m looking forward to watching your layout develop.

As I said, I'm still in the very early planning stage. Nevertheless 37 012 "Loch Rannoch" has just arrived yesterday and another 37 (37/4 to be precise), a class 26 and a class 27 are on the way. Found them relatively cheap on eBay.

I have a few days off next week and will use this time to get some second hand tracks for better planning and draw a first plan of the layout then. If I'm lucky I an prepare the shopping list for the local DIY as well...

The line from Connel Ferry to Ballachulish is nowadays a cycle/footpath and although not as remote as the West Highland Way could be something you’d like to walk or cycle in the future. 

Yes, maybe.  There should be some of the old buildings and platforms still visible. I do some track archeology over here in Germany with a local group of enthusiasts twice a year. An idea would be to hike from Connel to Kinlochleven, carry on via the last miles of the WHW and then have a go at the Great Glen Way...I have to think about this...