Identifying objects at Summerseat Station

MattR

This photo (photographer unknown) of Summerseat station in L&YR days shows two interesting objects that I can't identify.

- #1: Some sort of lamp-holder?

- #2: Is this a chocolate or cigarette machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

InkedInkedSummerseat 1920s 2_LI.jpg

Edited by MattR
  • Like 2

Two very good questions and I can only offer guesses

1.  That was my first thought.  However I doubt it, as there is a standard lamp post a short distance away, so the platform wouldn't need removable oil lamps as well.  Looks elaborate and purpose built to hold something removable.  Weighing equipment perhaps?

2.  It doesn't look like the the usual cast iron Nestles machine which was so common.  Are we in fact looking at two separate items here?  Perhaps something up to about waist high on the lady, such as a mile post, with behind it and attched to the wall a notice board or a small advertising hoarding of some sort.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Are we in fact looking at two separate items here?  Perhaps something up to about waist high on the lady, such as a mile post, with behind it and attched to the wall a notice board or a small advertising hoarding of some sort.

I think so! That will probably solve that one.

• Like 1

Could 1 be the support of a steelyard weighing balance, with the arm not in-situ?

I reckon the yard would be hung from that bracket on the right, with the arm and sliding weight poking through the slot at the top of the post.

Steelyards were quite precise and well cared for things, so maybe taken in from the weather to avoid corrosion. 

But ……. I can’t think why you’d want one here. They usually lived in parcels offices.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Item number 1 looks like it could, or should, be something to do with Token Apparatus, but I don't have any idea of how the L&Y did such things....

I believe Summerseat was double track, so don't see how a token holder woukd be required, unles there was also a single line branch here.

• Like 2

Yes, Summerseat was double-tracked, with the down line lifted around 1970.

Also, no steelyards anywhere near Summerseat. The small goods yard and shed (and the one further north at the Brooksbottoms viaduct) were for coal to power the mill engines.

Edited by MattR
  • Like 1

The object can also be seen in this photo at Disused Stations. Looking at this other photo it looks like the small building (front right) was the coal office. Perhaps the steelyard balance was used to weigh individual bags of coal? Its unusual location on the passenger platform could be the legacy of the station being rebuilt by the LYR in 1860 or the 1890 platform modification.

• Like 2

• MattR changed the title to Identifying objects at Summerseat Station

Time to play Identify Things from Old Photos of Summerseat Station again!

What is this #1:  Summerseat, 1950s -- what are the barrel-shaped objects at the end of the platform? Are they just barrels? The have odd domed tops.

Summerseat barrels.jpg

Edited by MattR

What is this #2:  Summerseat, 1954 -- Possibly a broom or mop in the corner, but what's the animal trough-looking thing in front of it? Some sort of basin for water for the (possible) mop? Or just a bench?

Summerseat broom.jpg

Edited by MattR

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MattR said:

What is this #2:  Summerseat, 1954 -- Possibly a broom or mop in the corner, but what's the animal trough-looking thing in front of it? Some sort of basin for water for the (possible) mop? Or just a bench?

Summerseat broom.jpg

just a bench, portable, probably painted maroon with dozens of thick layers.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2023 at 15:49, MattR said:

This photo (photographer unknown) of Summerseat station in L&YR days shows two interesting objects that I can't identify.

- #1: Some sort of lamp-holder?

- #2: Is this a chocolate or cigarette machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

InkedInkedSummerseat 1920s 2_LI.jpg

2. Could it be a train indicator board with a box for the fingers ?

• Like 2

No. 1  Probably galvanized dustbins

No. 2  It's a bit low (only 3 bricks high) for a bench, but possibly.    Could be a trough for flowers?  Platform height looks low - could it be a movable step to assist passengers?

No. 3  Definitely a wooden wheelbarrow

No. 4  No idea, but there's another wheelbarrow behind it.