Football team (not supporters) specials

On 27/08/2023 at 07:51, peanuts said:

There is a photo in the book Oldhams railways of a class 40 hauled footex running through Oldham mumps rake of mk1s and a pullman coach for the Brighton players and staff would of been running to Werneth .will try to find the book and see if i can copy 

Do you recall a "Latics Liner" to Leicester from Mumps, in about February 1980; the team travelled with the supporters? I'm sure we were both on it!

On 27/08/2023 at 14:55, nigb55009 said:

Fulham FC used regular train services, albeit First Class. They`re probably some of the only people who can afford it. When I saw them they

weregetting off a Virgin service from London Euston at Wigan NW.It was friday afternoon, a local coach company were waiting to take the

team to a hotel. Fulham were playing Bolton Wanderers the following day.

I can remember being in a normal Pendolino service going to Manchester sometime in the early noughties. A complete football team boarded the train at Milton Keynes and travelled all the way to Manchester (IIRC). I hadn't the nerve to ask who they were. It was a weekday late afternoon.

In the mid 80s I used to organise the group travel for the Bristol City Supporters Club London Branch. I remember in Feb 85 City were away at Rotherham and Brentford, managed by Frank McLintock were playing Doncaster Rovers. We made our way back to Doncaster station from Rotherham after our match, lost 1-2 before anyone asks, and in the station bar were the Brentford team. Their train had been cancelled and they were waiting for the London service. We all got on and Frank McLintock asked me if they could use some of our unused reserved seats.

Simon

After United won the 1990 FA Cup replay against Palace, me & by mate we’re waiting at Crewe for the next train down the North Wales Coast (only a six hour wait) and the United team with Fergie plus FA Cup in the window went passed on the way to Manchester, bit of a drunken sing song echoed around the station for a few minutes afterwards….

On the way to Ramsbotham United v FC United last game of the season 2007 title celebrations we hired a whole train to take us & the team up and down the ELR  before dropping us all off at Ramsbottom station which by this time looked as if Doc Red Army had taken over the town like back when we were in the second division, happy days…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 62613 said:

Do you recall a "Latics Liner" to Leicester from Mumps, in about February 1980; the team travelled with the supporters? I'm sure we were both on it!

We were the famous "wheres yer hat trick Alan Young" 1-0 win big jim steele got the winner remember Carl Valentine & Vic Hallom walking through on way homec

24 minutes ago, peanuts said:

We were the famous "wheres yer hat trick Alan Young" 1-0 win big jim steele got the winner remember Carl Valentine & Vic Hallom walking through on way homec

That's the one! Rodger Palmer's first game

9 hours ago, 62613 said:

can also remember the latics liner to wimbledon in the FA cup third round stopped to pick up tommy doc at wilmslow and drop him at kensington olympia think he was either at QPR or Chelsea at the time drew at plough lane lost the replay the famous "hes here hes there were not allowed to swear rodger wylde " game after getting a lecture off a local plod inspector at the turnstile no cussing or swearing  or your nicked !

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2023 at 17:42, Enterprisingwestern said:

29th March 1969.

I was spotting on Sheffield Midland station on this day when, incredibly and unexpectedly, the two 6 car WR Blue Pullmans rolled into platform 1 with a special carrying the West Bromwich Albion team, management and some (presumably) well heeled supporters, on the way to the pig sty, aka Hillsborough, for their FA cup semi final match against Leicester, which they contrived to lose 1-0.

Luckily I was camera equipped!

Mike.

On 27/08/2023 at 17:42, Enterprisingwestern said:

29th March 1969.

I was spotting on Sheffield Midland station on this day when, incredibly and unexpectedly, the two 6 car WR Blue Pullmans rolled into platform 1 with a special carrying the West Bromwich Albion team, management and some (presumably) well heeled supporters, on the way to the pig sty, aka Hillsborough, for their FA cup semi final match against Leicester, which they contrived to lose 1-0.

Luckily I was camera equipped!

Mike.

bluepullman2.jpg.8c64f7401cd6a3b91ff074d796d201a1.jpg

Apologies for the ropey picture, it's a scan of a contact print, I don't have the oddball sized negative in file!

Mike.

24th. January, 1976 I was on a Cardiff - Prittlewell 'Footex' for the F.A. Cup 4th. Round Southend United v Cardiff City tie.

One of the then surplus ECML Pullman cars was attached to the 'Footex' for the use of Cardiff City FC players and officials.

• Informative/Useful 1