c&l ash ballast

Hello,

Has anyone used C & L yard ash and firebox ash? es it look realistic compared with prototype shed areas seen in places like Willesden and Lostock? I want the grimey look of the 1950's/60's where the ash rises level with the rail and you can't see the sleepers, anyone got any tips for doing this?

Regards

Paul.

HI

I have used it on my layout "Torrington " have a look at it in the layout area, the yard ash is spot on and fire box ash looks very good as well.

If you do get some from C+L get the 2mm ,it comes in small and large jars.

Look at lots of photo of sheds to get the right idea of how they looked then.

Good luck !

All the best

Darren

HI

I have used it on my layout "Torrington " have a look at it in the layout area, the yard ash is spot on and fire box ash looks very good as well.

If you do get some from C+L get the 2mm ,it comes in small and large jars.

Look at lots of photo of sheds to get the right idea of how they looked then.

Good luck !

All the best

Darren

No idea how it is done but I believe there was a layout that posted pics yesterday with the very same effect. I thought it looked great.

Will see if I can find the pics

I have tried to use the ash , nightmare to get level between sleepers and it then washed away into blobs as soon as wetted. Horrible stuff the main problem is it virtually weightless. I would also love to know how to get a result with it too.

I have tried to use the ash , nightmare to get level between sleepers and it then washed away into blobs as soon as wetted. Horrible stuff the main problem is it virtually weightless. I would also love to know how to get a result with it too.

Many years ago I remember putting the neat PVA on the board, followed by track laying and then the ballast on top: leaving it to set and upturning the board to remove excess!

So I suppose neat PVA could be painted around laid track?

The result was quite good!

Mark Saunders

Hi

The best way to use yard Ash is to spread it with a very soft brush; I use a blusher (Borrowed from the miss’s)

I use a teaspoon to place the yard Ash on the track, once I get it level, by tapping with a hammer on the board, I spray it with water and washing up liquid.

To do this I use a plant spray bottle ,One thing I did find out was you have to give it a good wetting ,then I use a syringe to put the PVA, water and washing up liquid on to the yard Ash

You have to be careful when doing this ,don’t flood it ,just take your time doing it .

I hope this helps ,here are some photo of the yard Ash I have done .

All the best

Darren01

post-6929-127852129863.jpg

post-6929-127852131481.jpg

Cheers for the info will definately look into the finecast stuff.

Funnily enough seeing the Byworth layout was the reason I asked this question, its the exact look i'm after where the ballast is almost flat and level with the rails. He used real ash from burning charcoal which I always thought goes a horrible beige colour and turns to powder, it also turns to sludge once water is added.

Has anyone used this ash method?

Archived