Blyth Station - Late 50's / Early 60's

AndrewG

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything in the search function....

I'm looking to recreate Blyth Station (Blyth and Tyne) in 1/76. Modeled in the late 50's, early 60's era approaching closure of the station. G5's / DMU's etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of specific locomotives (likely to be G5's?) or Class of DMU that operated at Blyth Station in this era? The photographs I've uncovered so far have generic captions mentioning DMU but don't mention whether these would be  Class 101, 104 etc and what livery they would be carrying?

I'm a novice to the world of DMU's but I'm hoping that something from the RTR market lines up with the prototype, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

22 minutes ago, AndrewG said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything in the search function....

I'm looking to recreate Blyth Station (Blyth and Tyne) in 1/76. Modeled in the late 50's, early 60's era approaching closure of the station. G5's / DMU's etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of specific locomotives (likely to be G5's?) or Class of DMU that operated at Blyth Station in this era? The photographs I've uncovered so far have generic captions mentioning DMU but don't mention whether these would be  Class 101, 104 etc and what livery they would be carrying?

I'm a novice to the world of DMU's but I'm hoping that something from the RTR market lines up with the prototype, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say a  Metro- Cammell Class 101 would be very likely

It would be worth looking at 'Irish-Swiss Ernie's  web pages:-https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums and David Ford's :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the well over 40 years I've lived in Northumberland I've been given/bought copies of some photos of the railways in Blyth.  I do not hold the copyright so cannot post them here but I have looked up some loco numbers of photos around Blyth station and the Blyth and Tyne nearby.  I've just realised they are not in numerical order, sorry.  My apologies if I have any of the numbers wrong.

G5.  67261  67323  67326   67277   67281   67296   67305   67311

J27 65874  65862  65838 65893  65720  65800  65805  65815  65834  65860  65855  65795

V1/3 67678

I think I have seen a photo of a BR Class 2 2-6-0 on a special but I don't seem to have a copy.

Later on Class 37 and Class 20 but I am not sure whether they were taken around the final closure time.

The only dmu photos I have are Class 101s, some with small yellow panels, other with the orginal cream "V" lines at the front.

I have one photo with a 0-6-0T, J77 68408  I think that at one time there were several of them used for shunting duties on the staiths.

There have been quite a lot of books published about Blyth but most focus on the buildings in the town, the harbour, shipyards and pits with only short sections on the railways.

It will be an impressive model, I have seen one of Blyth in n gauge, it took up a surprsing amount of space.  I'm assuming you are not including the staiths!

David

• Informative/Useful 2

As a life long  resident of Blyth with an interest in the Blyth & Tyne I would recommend, for research,  'The Blyth & Tyne and associated colliery railways - Railway Memories no 29' by Stephen Chapman published in 2016.

From memory, I can confirm that G5s were used on passenger duties until class 101 DMUs took over in 1958. I don't recall any other DMU types, nor have I seen photos of other types.

In addition to the types mentioned, a small number of J21s were all allocated to South Blyth shed until withdrawl in 1962. V1/V3s arrived at Blyth station on parcels trains and later Sulzer Type 2s on these duties.

I presume you propose to build a 00 gauge layout and I look forward to following your progress.

Mal

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, DaveF said:

G5.  67261  67323  67326   67277   67281   67296   67305   67311

J27 65874  65862  65838 65893  65720  65800  65805  65815  65834  65860  65855  65795

V1/3 67678

The only dmu photos I have are Class 101s, some with small yellow panels, other with the orginal cream "V" lines at the front.

It will be an impressive model, I have seen one of Blyth in n gauge, it took up a surprsing amount of space.  I'm assuming you are not including the staiths!

Thanks for this  David, really useful information, which seems to stack up with the limited information I had already gathered.

Yeah, I've also come across a few photos of an N gauge recreation of Blyth. I have limited space so my plan is to focus on the actual station itself rather than trying to fit in the Shed or Harbour Lines etc.

Once I get cracking I will create a Layout Topic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alcanman said:

As a life long  resident of Blyth with an interest in the Blyth & Tyne I would recommend, for research,  'The Blyth & Tyne and associated colliery railways - Railway Memories no 29' by Stephen Chapman published in 2016.

From memory, I can confirm that G5s were used on passenger duties until class 101 DMUs took over in 1958. I don't recall any other DMU types, nor have I seen photos of other types.

I presume you propose to build a 00 gauge layout and I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks for this Mal. I've got the Railway Memories No.29 book which you recommend, which is certainly useful. But any extra information I can glean will certainly help.

Yep, 00 gauge layout, focusing on the station area rather than Blyth as a whole.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Having grown up in Blyth I will be following this thread with interest. 

One thing I was wanting to find out was about types of coaching stock and formations of trains hauled by the G5’s. Most pictures I’ve seen are two or three coach rakes, I’m guessing the closest thing RTR would be the Hornby Gresley suburbans by Hornby?

Apologies for the thread hijack but though it would be relevant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1