Photos taken by BR Photographic Unit

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Not quite sure where to put this question, as it does not relate directly to trains themselves. @AY Mod feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if you see fit.

I have in my possession a number of official photos taken by the BRB Photographic Unit, and by the LMR Photographic Unit. Where do I stand with putting them on Flickr? Is it ok as long as I credit BRB etc, and do not pass them off as my own work?

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium

Mmm... Good question. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you as such, but the BR Eastern Region photographic unit was bought out originally by Andrew Dow (I think) with the help of Jarvis Infra Co. When they went bust, the assets of the photographic unit passed to/were bought by Fastline. And there is now some link with TeleRail, who I believe may hold the copyright for the ER photos etc., (I think I've got that in the right order). So a word of caution, unless you can prove that the BRB/LMR photographic units were just dissolved rather than sold to another party (who would now retain the copyright), it would be worth doing a bit of research if you can, just to avoid any future potential wrist-slap. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PerthBox said:

I also have a large number of BR Scottish Region official photos, rescued from the bin when Network Rail moved out of Buchanan House. I'd love to put them online but I'm also worried about the copyright situation.

Ditto a number of Southern Railway/Region photos now in the possession of the Southern Railways Group .... we have negatives for some - but even those might be copies !

• Like 1

I have a number of full-plate official photographs of the pioneering P4 layout Bembridge taken by the SR Waterloo photographic unit in the early 1970s. When they were given to me I was given verbal permission to publish them as often as I wished provided that they were always acknowledged to British Rail. Some have appeared in print since then, including in BRM, always properly acknowledged, and there has never been any comeback.P4BembridgeBR2.jpg.0e8e31ae2ecebaef658763974b65f2d9.jpg

photo: British Rail

Edited by bécasse