The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

September Trip to Central London

kernowtim

I am anticipating making  a trip into Central London for the main reason of taking my teenage daughter to a  concert at the O2 arena, which I knew as the millennium dome, arriving by train in to Euston hopefully around 10am, concert is 8pm and I am not going in!

Last time I travelled into London was to  St Pancras before it was rebuilt, no peaks there though 😒 and my train ticket included travel on tube and Routemaster busses,

So my questions for the panel..

Are those combined tickets still available or do I need a separate ticket,  oystercard??

Any recommendations on what to do for a few hours that isn't too expensive, got natural history and science museum booked!

Was thinking about the LT museum and Covent garden.

Any (model) shops worth going to , hamleys? Remember walking to Victor's 

My daughter has only been to the east end of London on a school history trip so a bit of sightseeing,

Is it feasible to hire a bicycle for a few hours in the evening,  have seen a link to santander. 

Any help appreciated. 

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

One Day Travelcards still available (despite the despicable Mayor trying to get rid of them) but you can use a contactless card (I wouldn't bother buying an Oyster card with contactless being available, too much hassle) and it caps at a maximum amount.

LT Museum definitely and Covent Garden is there even though it is all a bit poshed up and poncey for my liking now.

Hamleys? Forget it, even if they still do any model rail stuff (pretty sure they don't) it will be well over RRP and then some, that place is rip off central, much like most of London really.  Model shops are practically non existent in London now, possibly one in Tooting if that one is still going but that is about it.

• Thanks 1

As mentioned above just use a credit/debit card for buses and tube and is capped at a daily amount.

Depending on when in september there is the Transport Museum Depot open day (21st - 24th) in Acton - https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/depot-open-days

Again depending on the date; Kirkaldy Testing Museum is a bit niche https://www.testingworks.org.uk/about but an interesting story following the Tay Bridge collapse. Also near Tate Modern which is free.

Hamleys does have model railway but just Hornby I seem to remember and yes overpriced. The shop isn't what it once was. Tooting Model Shop is still there.

Santander bikes are another way to get about. Also other bike hire available such as Human Forest and Tier.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kernowtim said:

Last time I travelled into London was to  St Pancras before it was rebuilt, no peaks there though 😒 and my train ticket included travel on tube and Routemaster busses,

The last time I went (pre Covid) to Euston the ticket included travel on any service within Zone 5 and cost £4 on top of the normal return fare.

LNWR still do an unlimited London travel add on for not a lot extra.

According to TfL the current tap and go limit to Zone 5 is £13.90, a lot more than the add on.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1