Paint Colours

Fingers

I thought it would be quite straight forward to sort out some paint for Scottish railway buildings, but I seem to be struggling to find either a comprehensive list of colours or a colour chart. I'm building a layout based on Garelochhead circa 1960 and have colour photographs of buildings in green (woodwork) with off-white windows.

Can anyone give me a pointer toward the two colours, and also suggestions for a reddish lino floor and a generic 'concrete' colour.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Moxy,

Many thanks, it certainly helps.

I did a little more delving through an intruiging album on Flikr (Ernie's Railway Archive), and have come across pictures of Garelochhead in 1950/60's showing the painting 'standard' as dark brown/cream/white! As this is the intended period of my layout, I think that's the way it's going.

Cheers, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very useful website that may help you find appropriate model paints. The site quoted by @Moxy gives you the RAL reference number.

Open this website https://www.modelshade.com/paint-conversion-chart/ and choose the option for "RAL Colours"

So we can find a wide choice of equivalents for those shades

Cinnamon/ Ducks foot is RAL 8001 in Vallejo Model Color 70.865 "Ochre Brown"

Purple Brown/Burnt Umber is RAL 8016 Vallejo Model Color 70.985 "Hull Red"

Cream is RAL 1015 Vallejo Model Color 70.837 "Pale Sand"

It also gives Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya, Testors and AK matches though some of them are not very close. For example for the cream shade the site suggests Tamiya Flat Flesh which is way too pink. But it can give you some good options outside of Railway colours.  Vallejo in particular has a huge colour range and also a considerable range of airbrush ready shades in the "Model Air" range.

Where there are no RAL colour codes given you can sample your screen and convert the hex code to RAL values (search for an online converter there are several)