Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fear of Missing Out - FOMO

TBH I've fearlessly missed out on most of Hornbys releases since 2020, and ALL of everyone elses!  What I have bought has been on the rock bottom sale shelf if new, and the rest second hand...

Its saved a fair bit of money!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

I get more FIMO ( fear I've missed out)   than FOMO  when it comes to some items. 

Where's that second run? 

Then there is IDWTMOBCIJI

( I don't want to miss out but can I justify it?)

Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

FOMO in a modelling context is pretty much a First World Problem. I think most FOMO is a question of over-abundant materialism (but that's not quite my point here). My modelling (such as it is right now) is based on 4mm GWR branch lines and N gauge diesels (not on the same layout obviously). If I think I can't afford something (either now or at the expected time of delivery), I simply do not commit. There are some excellent GWR items forthcoming or already at hand, but do I really need to upgrade my detailed Bachmann 45xxs or Airfix B sets?

I appreciate that our society has changed massively since the 1970s, but I'm not convinced that the 'progress' towards a point where we have a far greater range of models available - so long as we buy them in the particular window of availability  - is entirely a good thing, although it may well be reflective of changes in society as a whole.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmoth said:

There are some excellent GWR items forthcoming or already at hand, but do I really need to upgrade my detailed Bachmann 45xxs or Airfix B sets?

In my case, I'm quite content with my Baccy small prairies, considering them to be 'current generation' models, not perfect but much better than I could do from a kit, and more than acceptable on a layout, but would not be happy with an Airfix B set (don't actually need one at Cwmdimbath, but if I did I'm fairly sure I could do better with a Comet kit).  I'm not happy with my Hornby (ex-Airfix) A30 autotrailers, and will probably replace them with Comets if only to provoke a manufacturer into doing a decent RTR.  I'm very happy that Dapol are producing a Diagram N!

Given a choice between a wide variety of good quality expensive RTR available for limited periods or a limited range of cheaper, lower quality models permanently available, I'd prefer the former anytime, despite it not being particularly conducive to the needs of a pensioner on a limited fixed income.  But if I let money worry me I'd never buy anything...  What I really want is an even larger range of even higher quality RTR at lower prices, but I also want a million pounds, a cure for the common cold, an end to world hunger, and a peaceful and amicable settlement of the Middle East problem acceptable to all sides, along with a full restoration of my youthful virility and good looks, and a teenage nymphomaniac brewery owner's daughter to enjoy them with, and I'm not going to get any of those any time soon, either.

Changes in society as a whole are a different matter, but I would not want the society of my childhood back, even with the neigbours' doors open all day and proper trains to watch.  I don't miss despite the nostalgia.  Racism, Homophobia, Sexism, demonisation of single mothers, hidden but much more prevalent , much higher child mortality, stigmatised divorce, normalised domestic violence, real poverty (I went to primary school with kids that didn't have shoes, in winter), polio, and much less chance of surviving a serious illness are just a few of the reasons; the world is indubitably a much better place now than it was then.  We have taken our eyes off the ball in other respects, notably in creating significantly greater wealth but simultaneously creating a more income-divided society than ever, and creating an anti-social underclass and increasing drug addiction and homelessness, so all is not sunshine and roses and I'm not suggesting it is, but I wouldn't want to go back!

And I like the internet, multi-channel colour tv, and smartphones.  Oh, and did I mention, the current wide variety of RTR 00 models available in batches.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

Having had a week to mull over this feeling of FOMO, I a even more of the opinion if I just stick to N I won't feel I am missing out.

In my head the second layout if it does come will also be in N but will focus on freight whereas my current layout is very much focussed on a terminus station.  Something coal or steel with a little bit of other wagonload - could even stretch it to large logo and refurbished 37s.

I guess saying it out loud has crystalised my thoughts on an OO layout and the need to chase new items, I'm not missing out I just thought I was. 🙂

• Like 6

Well I never buy R-T-R so don't experience this at all with respect to current releases, lovely as they mostly look.

However I do feel this way about kits and bits, which is why I'm always buying old stuff off eBay, "I might never see one again, etc. etc.", and indeed from manufacturers "How long will Judith Edge have that Liskeard & Caradon saddle tank in their range? Better get one now, just in case!" Hence I have a large 'Cupboard of Shame' under my workbench that is growing more quickly than I can build them!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

My current approach has resulted in there not being a 'cupboard of shame'; kits are bought, assembled, finished, and put into service.  I had a 2h Parkside LNER plate (actually two, but that's another story, in 'Kit'n'Scratch' if you're interested) delivered on Friday, awaiting payday and a trip to town for paints and ordering of transfers, finished and successful running trials yesterday evening, and a similar BR 21ton mineral this morning; already started and probably undergoing running trials about this time tomoz, when it will also be awaiting transfers and paint.

I have a 'Really Useful container of shame', though, not unassembled kits but boxes containing bashing or chassis projects awaiting parts, tools, research, or mojo.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

On 20/09/2023 at 09:01, Barclay said:

Well I never buy R-T-R so don't experience this at all with respect to current releases, lovely as they mostly look.

However I do feel this way about kits and bits, which is why I'm always buying old stuff off eBay, "I might never see one again, etc. etc.", and indeed from manufacturers "How long will Judith Edge have that Liskeard & Caradon saddle tank in their range? Better get one now, just in case!" Hence I have a large 'Cupboard of Shame' under my workbench that is growing more quickly than I can build them!

I don't think you should think of it as a "cupboard of shame" but a "cupboard of hope". Hope that you will get the opportunity to build them before it's too late and the advancing years overtake you.

That's where I am now, so buying new kits tends to be restricted to simple items like wagons. There remain a number of enticing etched loco and carriage kits on the optimistic shelves of hope.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The advantage of a more rounded, broad church, lets use whatever is most appropriate as a route/springboard to the desired end result, is that you rely on your own ability, rather than anyone else's. It may mean tweaking expensive current RTR or heavily upgrading ancient stuff/spending hours building complete etched kits or just etched underframes to put under the aforementioned or kit/3D printed bodies, or anything else inbetween. This approach means that you don't have great expectation of any single items or manufacturer's goods as received and instead derive pleasure from your own modelling ability to adapt all to your own project.

BeRTIe

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I don't think you should think of it as a "cupboard of shame" but a "cupboard of hope". Hope that you will get the opportunity to build them before it's too late and the advancing years overtake you.

That's where I am now, so buying new kits tends to be restricted to simple items like wagons. There remain a number of enticing etched loco and carriage kits on the optimistic shelves of hope.

Very true, and hopefully the Gods will permit a retirement where I can start to catch up! To be fair, it does give me great satisfaction to know that it's there, and things do get built, some quite quickly, others still waiting for the right moment (35 years is the current record).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

The advantage of a more rounded, broad church, lets use whatever is most appropriate as a route/springboard to the desired end result, is that you rely on your own ability, rather than anyone else's. It may mean tweaking expensive current RTR or heavily upgrading ancient stuff/spending hours building complete etched kits or just etched underframes to put under the aforementioned or kit/3D printed bodies, or anything else inbetween. This approach means that you don't have great expectation of any single items or manufacturer's goods as received and instead derive pleasure from your own modelling ability to adapt all to your own project.

BeRTIe

I absolutely agree with this, BeRTie.  I have for a very long time adopted the view that a model in the condition it first came out of the box is a personal insult, and I can ALWAYS improve it (to my own satisfaction).  The turning point for me was an Airfix Biggin Hill that I built as a 14-year-old in 1966, which I noticed was not identical to my Triang Winston Churchill.  Two men say they’re Jesus, one of ‘em must be wrong.  

A bit of checking photographs (I’d call it research now) and it was obvious which was the better model; the one with separate smoke deflectors, more detail, and proper slide bars.  Why don’t I, I thought to myself, but another Biggin Hill plastic kit and see if I can put the bodyparts on top of my Winston Churchill  chassis.  This would give me a running loco that was better than my original Triang model, wouldn’t it. 

My parents were horrified at my wanton destruction of an expensive Triang locomotive, but it worked, and didn’t look too bad in BR lined green (PC Transfers, now HMRS) and when I showed them photos in my ‘Combined’, they were less horrified.  Ballasted within an inch of it’s life with plasticine, it was a good runner and hauler as well!

Now, back in 1966, it wasn’t hard to improve on RTR models, even the best of them.  Even after the ‘Airfix/Mainline’ revolution of the 80’s, one could improve what was on offer with close-coupling tenders, cab glazing, cast whitemetal buffers, lampirons, and GW etched brass number/nameplates, replacement Parkside chassis for wagons with moulded handbrake levers and brake blocks clawing uselessly at fresh air, miles out of alignment with the wheels.  And there was always weathering.  I took pride, still do, in not having anything unaltered from it’s oob condition. 

Nowadays I often have little to do beyond a wash of weathering muck, but sometimes I still have to do a bit of modelling!  Case in point, the upcoming Dapol Diagram N autotrailer,;mine is to be W37W as running at Tondu 1953-56 dirty it up a bit to take the new off and job’s a good’un, innit?

Well, yes it is, but… the story of Tondu’s autotrailers is that, perhaps surprisingly in such perfect autotrailer terrain, the first trailers the depot had were transferred in for the introduction of auto-working there in connection with the introduction of a new South Wales Valleys ‘regular interval’ timetable in the Autumn of 1953, which extended auto working in South Wales considerably.  It was thought that the low speeds of Tondu’s services, especially the Porthcawl branch, would provide insufficient battery charging for electrically-lit trailers and the initial allocation were all gas-lit; their precious depots were probably glad to offload them.  

Bear with, you’ll see where I’m going with this now in a minute.  Photos of W37W working in the Tondu valleys in ‘my’ period show that it was paired with gas-lit A10 W28W.  Now, scratchbuilding is s big ask for me, a bit beyond my comfort zone, and would be expensive, requiring books I do not possess and have no access to.  So the part of my brain that suggested Biggin Hill all those years ago swings into action, and I look for alternatives.  

And find one!  I have a kit-built Keyser A31, which is not dissimilar to an A10 and will ‘do’.  I’ve already worked it up with an interior, but it will look very shabby in company with Dapol’s upcoming masterpiece unless I do a bit to it.  Repaint in crimson/cream, removal of cast detail and replacement with retro fit handrails, doorknobs, lamp brackets, junction boxes, and some scratch built detail should remove it’s embarrassment a bit.  Proper modelling, making the best of what’s available; looking forward to it!  I’m too old to hope someone will produce one for me, so I’m ‘avin’ a go myself…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2