RMweb

ESU Loksound V5 issue

DungeWood

Hello

I've purchased a V5 quite cheaply from Ebay and installed it in my Dapol class 29.

Having read the decoder on my ECoS it is showing M4 and another dcc version, so I have 2 locos now for this class 29.  This isn't the issue but why?, the problem I have is that the sound fires up on the m4 version but when I add power the loco remains stationary, the sound does increase as it would when moving and it will decrease as if slowing to stop, just won't move...?

If anyone has come across this and has a solution please let me know.

I'm not even sure if I've had this issue before with a class 47 V5 but I can't seem to figure out what I did back then.

Just out of interest is there anyway to just have the decoder as a standard V5, could this be done on a lokprogrammer?

Thank you

Cheers

Paul

31 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You have a multi-protocol decoder (DCC, M4, Selectrix, etc.) and a multi-protocol command station which has detected multiple protocols.   

You can switch off protocols not wanted in the decoder with CV changes.    Lokprogrammer isn't needed.  

Thanks Nigel

It's been a while since I've done any dabbling with dcc cvs etc or protocols?  Could you advise what I need to do or look at?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Try resetting the Cv but if the problem persists then unfortunately the motor driver may be burnt out yet the chip will still produce sounds.

I have a couple of chips like this and they can still be used if you are top and tailing or double heading with a dummy loco.

You can also use it with another decoder that just drives the motor (2 chips in one engine.) I had a Loksound that didn't drive, and another with the sound burnt out; I combined the 2 and got 1 working loco from 2 half duds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DungeWood said:

Thanks Nigel

It's been a while since I've done any dabbling with dcc cvs etc or protocols?  Could you advise what I need to do or look at?

Thanks

Page 55 of the ESU LokSound V5 manual,  CV47=1.     

You may have to do things in your ECoS as well, I don't know how those handle things stored in its internal memory. 

Thanks again Nigel

I think I will do a decoder reset first, the delete the loco from the ECoS system.  Hopefully then if you are correct I can set the decoder to dcc with cv47.

In the ECoS there are tabs for adjusting cvs in Dcc, Motorola and Selectrix, Im not sure how I disable those protocols in the ECoS or if I even can, can't remember seeing any options.....?  

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't recommend a reset unless you have totally hit a brick wall.  Nigel has given you the required CV change to just have the docoder in DCC mode.  That's the first step.

Deleting the "loco's" from ECoS will also be required.

I assume that ECoS is registering the loco automatically, in which case the decoder will have Railcom+ enabled.  That's fine, and it should then grab all the required info into ECoS when you next place the loco on the track.  Hopefully no more M4 duplication.

The not moving off but having appropriate sound responses might be that the "drive hold" function is enabled and on?  Something to explore once you get rid of the M4 complication.

It could also be a fault with the loco.  Did you try it on DC before fitting the decoder?

• Like 1

Hi 55020

I have done a reset already as it is a s/h ebay decoder and I wondered if the previous owner may have got into a mess changing settings.

Also Dapol supplied a sheet in the box with a few cv tweaks which I tried, made no difference to the loco moving.

I will try and turn Selextrix and M4 etc off in the ECoS and make sure railcom is on.

Then change the decoder to dcc and see if anything happens.

Thanks for your input. 👍

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is interested it has turned out this was an issue with the locos pcb and not the v5 decoder.

Unusually the sound and lights worked file but on applying power the train wouldn't move.  I assumed a cheap decoder from Ebay the issue but eventually I tried various other decoders and blanking plug without success, my conclusion was the pcb.  So a quick chat with Robert in the Dapol sales dept. got me sorted with a new pcb.

Removed the old one and soldered the new one in and away the loco went, yes!

I had only recently run the loco and as it was one of the few new locos I'd bought didn't suspect it would have an issue, just goes to show never assume anything until you've exhausted the possibilities.

Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

Regards

Paul 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1