Oh No..!

sunshine coast

A super modelling opportunity!

Wasn't Bangor, Maine where Roger Miller's train was heading ? 2nd verse of 'King of the Road' ?

Sorry wrong forum section....and probably the wrong music era, as well.

Old Bob

• RMweb Gold

A super modelling opportunity!

Wasn't Bangor, Maine where Roger Miller's train was heading ? 2nd verse of 'King of the Road' ?

Sorry wrong forum section....and probably the wrong music era, as well.

Not far wrong on era. That green car to the right is lettered for Penn Central, so the pic is not before 1968, when that company succeeded traditional rivals New York Central and Pennsylvania railroads, both of which were in dire financial straits. Roger M's song might have been a few years earlier, that's all.

EDIT Now note the pic is dated Aug 1970, so only 40 years ago....

EDIT Now note the pic is dated Aug 1970, so only 40 years ago....

...don´t remind me....I´m hitting it this year. I almost feel as decripit as that old Plymouth switcher :P.

Trev -

Just don't go searching for anything around the Maine two-foot gauge. It's a very slippery slope. You have been warned! ;)

John,

too late ...I was exposed to that 20 yrs ago ...had both volumes of "Two feet between the rails" been downhill ever since .....! and also play occasionally on a 2ft locally !!!!! B)

Would be nice to find out a bit more about this one though ..I wonder if "Highpeak" knows anything ...?

Regards Trevor ... :D

That is an interesting picture. Some digging around suggests that it is the American Thread Company mill in Milo, ME. which is a fair ways north of Bangor, though that is the nearest place of any importance. The wood is going to be turned into spools for cotton thread. The MEC car appears to have delivered the wood from some point on the MEC, Milo being on the Bangor and Aroostook, near to the road's workshops in Derby. American Thread had a mill in Willimantic, CT where the thread was wound onto the spools, which might explain the presence of the PC car.

The MEC car closest to us was part of a batch of cars built to the 1932 AAR design by Magor and modified in 1964 to provide a wider door. The door appears to be a product of Yankee frugality. The cars were still on the roster in 1977 according to the ORER.

This page gives some insight into American Thread: http://www.scripophily.net/americanthread.html

The location and a few notes on the little switcher came from http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=1165.0

Thanks for posting the link to that picture, very interesting!

Thank you Highpeak for more info on the picture ,sounds very interesting ,will have to see if more can be found out .....and it can add another industry/load to my layout as well ...excellent .. :rolleyes:

This is one of the great bonuses of the Web ....contact with super people and knowledge from all over the world ...brilliant .. B)

Regards Trevor ... :D

Archived